Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ok. so i got my car running about 1 or 2 months ago. for the first week or so i ran the piss out of it. burnouts, donuts, racing whoever wanted some, trying to drift. but then i calmed down. so i was out one weekend and i kicked it a little but the car didn't seem to go anywhere. it boosted just fine but the power wasn't there. i figure "boost leak, not a big deal. i'll fix it in the morning" as i'm going home the temp needle starts to bounce around like i've got air in my system. i get worried so drive home. the next morning i check my coolent levels and the overflow is just fine but the radiator is low. so ever since then i've been loosing coolant out of my radiator but the overflow stays the same. most of the time the temp needle stays at normal. but about twice a week it'll bounce around and scare the piss out of me. some times it happens after i boost, sometimes at a stop light, sometimes just driven down the road. i just wanted to know what you guys thought. should i prepare for another HG?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Id burp the system and make sure you have no air, and if you are really worried that you have a blown head gasket do a compression test :dunno:

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
and check your hose to the overflow tank, the tank should have went down when your radiator was low, and check your cap

·
Registered
542 Posts
And check any hoses you could possibly be loosing coolant from. I was loosing coolant and thought I had another BHG but it just turned out the coolant hose running to my turbo was cracked and I was slowly loosing coolant.

·
Registered
78 Posts
im not sure about the coolant loss, but my temp gauge used to bounce around. in my case, it was an electrical problem with the green sensor ontop of the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
technollieg said:
im not sure about the coolant loss, but my temp gauge used to bounce around. in my case, it was an electrical problem with the green sensor ontop of the thermostat housing.
the sensor for the temp gauge isnt on the top of the thermostat housing, its kind of behind the ps reservoir on the bottom. But I do see your point, it could also be a prob with the temp sensor but chances are its not since he is loosing coolant. BTW, the green sensor you are talking about it for the AC :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i did find a leak today. it's that heater hose that goes from the back of the head to th back of the block. that hose was a bitch for me to get on. i prolly didn't get it to sit correctly. so you guys think it's just air in the system??

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
xpadawonx said:
i did find a leak today. it's that heater hose that goes from the back of the head to th back of the block. that hose was a bitch for me to get on. i prolly didn't get it to sit correctly. so you guys think it's just air in the system??
That would be my guess.

·
Registered
203 Posts
if you go ahead and replace the hg anyway, it's $300 and a week that will be well spent even if it isn't blown.

I had lots of doubts if mine was blown or not because i had even fewer and more infrequent symptoms that you do, and as you can see by the pics in the other thread it was completely blown

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh yeah. my hg was blown like that. all 6 cyclinders. when i replaced it i just used a felpro factory replacement. that's why my car was down, the BHG. i've got a spare head that i'm gonna go ahead and get milled, and prolly port and polish so when my hg does go i'll have some of the work done. i'm totally goin metal HG next time. i just spend too much time being worried about my composite one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts