Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 NA, an 84 P-Type (if I understande the terms right), a 79 Supra, and an 89 NA RX-7. At the moment the 79 Supra and the 89 RX-7 do not run, but the parts for the RX-7 are on the way (s-port S4 13B w/webber 48 dcoe and straight exhaust).

My original plan was to drop a 1jz-GTE into my MKIII. I really like the high strung nature of the engine and I like the idea a true twin turbo setup. The entire swap, including the various I was going to undertake, would cost in excess of $5000, with the clip coming from either JARCO or Japan Direct being in excess of $3000 it's self. I was going to sell my FC to help fund this, and the MKII and MKI would have to be left in their present state.

Now my planned change of tactics...

Dropping a 7m-GTE into my MKIII wouldn't be hard. I actually know where a Turbo MKIII is with a BHG and rough body that can be picked up for cheap (I wouldn't be dropping the GTE in without a MHG anyway). Outside of that I can get the various parts from salvage yards and buy a JDM 7m-GTE long block OR even have it done for less than $3000.

My current 7m-GE is a high mileage engine, but it's strong. With a solid head gasket job it'll be sturdy as anything. Few various mods to the engine, rebuilt head, some intake work, custom headers, this, maybe that...drop the engine into my MKII.

My MKI doesn't run. It's got a ghost that I just can not find. I've tried another ECU. Dizzy. Plugs and wires. Fuel pump things. Lots of stuff...can't get it. MY MKII has a pretty strong engine...though could use a lot of headwork. Drop it in the MKI.

Basically I'll have a 7m-GTE MKIII, a 7m-GE MKII, and a 6m MKI. With my figuring for various parts, headwork, few guages, various gadgets for the GTE, and I'm at $5350. Then I've still got my FC, which I would absolutely ball if I had to get rid of it, but I would with any of them.

What do you guys think?

N

·
0 Posts
just go with the 7mgte in the mkIII, dont sell the fc, you'll probably miss it to much

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^yeah...I might. I really don't know the extent of the MKII and MKI swaps but I'm researching it. The cars that are really important to me are the MKIII and the FC. Those are easy to get my desired results. The MKII is still prolly the coolest I got, IMO, I don't know about it yet.

The big thing is a debate between the 1jz-GTE and the 7m-GTE...ya know? If I go 7m-GTE then I have all these other options. If I go 1jz I won't have so many things to fall on....

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
1JZ-GTE swaps are NEVER, i repeat, NEVER a "drop-in" affair. They will ruin your life for a few months, and you'd be lucky if that's the extent of it.

Just keep it real and get a 7M-GTE.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's why the swap was going to cost in excess of $5000 ($5734.xx if I remember correctly). All the crap I was going to have to do to the engine and turbos and this and that and such...I've put about 4 months of research into the 1jz-GTE so I know it'd not be easy...but the results would just be bad-ass.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
makenzie71 said:
That's why the swap was going to cost in excess of $5000 ($5734.xx if I remember correctly). All the crap I was going to have to do to the engine and turbos and this and that and such...I've put about 4 months of research into the 1jz-GTE so I know it'd not be easy...but the results would just be bad-ass.
Would they?
Or would you come up with a lagariffic mule like jza71's 1JZ-GTE?

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
nope...is jza71's single or twin turbo?

My plans (as far as the turbos go) basically were upgraded and slightly clipped turbines...a setup where I could run 15lbs reliably. the stock CT-12a's should spool very fast with a slight clip on them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What you oughta do is drop the 7mgte into the mk1 supra. 15psi out of a 2700 hundred pound car would sweet. Nostalgic, and one hell of a sleeper. matt

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
quik90T said:
What you oughta do is drop the 7mgte into the mk1 supra. 15psi out of a 2700 hundred pound car would sweet. Nostalgic, and one hell of a sleeper. matt
Bad idea. The car isn't good for the power. You have to do some serious upgrades to the suspension and frame to make it safe.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or I could put it in a 2300lb FC and have an niftier sleeper...it's just not something I wanna do...lol.

Later on the MKII will be GTE'ed...but it'll be a year or two.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
makenzie71 said:
Or I could put it in a 2300lb FC and have an niftier sleeper...it's just not something I wanna do...lol.

Later on the MKII will be GTE'ed...but it'll be a year or two.
$5.00 says that it will not be GTE'ed, not in one year, not in two years, not ever.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
makenzie71 said:
I thought the MKII was pretty stable under a GTE...
MkI, not MkII, if you're replying to my earlier response. I spoke with someone at the NE2K3 meet with a MkI GTE, he told me all about it.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He actually said the MKI was better suited for it or that neither were great platforms for a GTE?

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wait....I got confused...I thought quik90t said MKII...not MKI...gotcha...the MKI would be winging it too much...I haven't found anyone who's done it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts