Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!

It seems like my 2nd turbo is starting to go so thinking about going single.

I don't know that much about turbo's yet hence I'm coming here for help.

I found a nice brand new HX40 with a 60/86 billet compressor wheel and a 16cm^2 75/65 exhaust turbine.

In the beginning I'd like to run the turbo on stock ECU and injectors, but planning to go standalone somewhere down the road. So basically a cheapo build for now with head room for future.

I have the JDM VVTI 2JZ GTE (440cc injectors) but running a Walbro 255lph.

Around what RPM would it spool? Looking to use this as a street car so would like to keep the lag low. Would the exhaust housing be too big?

EDIT: Forgot to add that it's twinscroll t3

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have an HE351CW on my 2jz, if you search my threads you should find one with the Dyno. Similar to the HX40 - but tighter exhaust housing. The HX40 should be pretty good, the 16cm (1.1ish AR) exhaust housing is a bit big, but that compressor wheel and the exhaust wheel aren’t too big.

Ran my HE351CW on a stock JDM auto car, stock ECU, stock fuel, and it was fine for a season and a half at 12ish psi. Kept an eye on it with a wideband and it never worried me.

I think it would be an awesome street turbo. I was making mid 400s through the auto with the 351 and seeing Positive pressure around 2k and fully spooked around 3100. Way more torque and way more fun than the stock twins.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an HE351CW on my 2jz, if you search my threads you should find one with the Dyno. Similar to the HX40 - but tighter exhaust housing. The HX40 should be pretty good, the 16cm (1.1ish AR) exhaust housing is a bit big, but that compressor wheel and the exhaust wheel aren’t too big.

Ran my HE351CW on a stock JDM auto car, stock ECU, stock fuel, and it was fine for a season and a half at 12ish psi. Kept an eye on it with a wideband and it never worried me.

I think it would be an awesome street turbo. I was making mid 400s through the auto with the 351 and seeing Positive pressure around 2k and fully spooked around 3100. Way more torque and way more fun than the stock twins.
Oh, great to hear! I live in Norway so not really thinking of getting it to even more hp than the hx40 can handle later on. It's still more than plenty imo. How were your AFRs? Have been reading quite mixed opinions as some say that since the stock ECU was tuned for twins, there will be lean spots.

And really 1.10 AR? That's big. I thought it would be like 0.8-0.9 but I don't really understand the cm^2 to ar conversions.

Also since my final goal would be around 600whp max somewhere down the road, wouldn't it suffice with like a VPC / SAFC combo, or a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate (which I've started to read up on yesterday, but can't find that much info for us 2jz guys)? That would be really nice as I think going full standalone + changing to manual tranny is a lot of money. Of course that's the route I'd go if a piggyback is totally a no-no.

Anyone that has tried the E-Manage Ultimate on a VVTi 2jz and can give some feedback?

·
Registered
562 Posts
The 2JZ VVTi ECU will fight the E-Manage Ultimate, or any other piggyback! It's not worth it. Even an SAFC stands no chance against the stock ECU. You're better off using the stock ECU for the multiplex system and use a standalone to control engine functions. You'll also be able to tune the VVTi, fuel, ignition, use larger injectors, have failsafes, closed loop boost control, traction control, etc, etc with a standalone which will give you a much wider torque curve, safety, drivability, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 2JZ VVTi ECU will fight the E-Manage Ultimate, or any other piggyback! It's not worth it. Even an SAFC stands no chance against the stock ECU. You're better off using the stock ECU for the multiplex system and use a standalone to control engine functions. You'll also be able to tune the VVTi, fuel, ignition, use larger injectors, have failsafes, closed loop boost control, traction control, etc, etc with a standalone which will give you a much wider torque curve, safety, drivability, etc.
Yeah it will be fighting the OEM ECU, but many people have done this before. It's not perfect, but good enough

·
From the land down under
4,023 Posts
My Emanage Ultimate has NEVER fought with the factory ECU. The tune I have is the same, day in day out.

I have a 2JZ-GE non vvti, and have been told so many times that it would fight the factory ECU and be unable to hold a tune etc, but for the past 12+ years I have been NA-T, its never happened, so be careful what you believe.

I understand there is a lot of piggybacks that dont do what people had hoped for, or they do things badly, and never run right, but from my experience, the EU is not one of those.

607 Posts
I have a turbo kit for you. $1500
66/73 sizing (almost identical to a S366)
divided T4 .70 a/r
4 inch downpipe/midpipe (it's one piece so easy install)
Divided Manifold w/ Greddy Wastegate

That's the link with the turbo kit and other parts for sale I have.
pictures of it mounted are in a GS300

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a turbo kit for you. $1500
66/73 sizing (almost identical to a S366)
divided T4 .70 a/r
4 inch downpipe/midpipe (it's one piece so easy install)
Divided Manifold w/ Greddy Wastegate

That's the link with the turbo kit and other parts for sale I have.
pictures of it mounted are in a GS300
A bit of a late reply from me, but I've gone ahead and bought an HX40 Super. Currently painting the engine bay and will be dropping the engine back in this weekend :)! That's a good price tho :D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts