Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WOW....I just finished my single install, and I think I went WAY too big! I am running a GT42R on a T6 WOTM manifold, 5" DP and man this thing is a pig out the hole! I am sure I can get some lag taken away with a good tune...but I really do not like it at all yet. I am currently running off the wastegate spring, should be putting fuel on in the next week or 2. BTW, this is with a built auto w/3800 stall. The car literally feels like the stock stall/tranny in TTC. It pulls like a mofo after it spools...but damn it takes f o r e v e r ! Its very street unfriendly...wish I would have went with some more stock twins right now...I am sure it will rock at the track with a 75 shot to get it up, but I enjoy driving the car and this has killed the street friendlyness of it....I dont see how anyone running a 47/80 or 88 can stand it on the highway and around town.

Jason

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
818 Posts
heh any video? :) Have fun!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Im kinda surprised you went from the twins to something that big. I dont think I want to go to big, the power is nice but man they get so damn laggy. GL with your set up though, Im sure you'll dial it in and get some good E.Ts

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im kinda surprised you went from the twins to something that big. I dont think I want to go to big, the power is nice but man they get so damn laggy. GL with your set up though, Im sure you'll dial it in and get some good E.Ts
eh...I took the go big or go home approach, wish I would have went home with a pair of stockers. I am sure I will see god once the fuel go's on...but for now I can truly say the single is overrated. 67DBB sounds so damn good right now...too bad I have shot myself in the foot with a T6 manifold.

Jason

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have had a 67, the lag wasnt bad at all, and it wasnt even a DBB67. I think that turbo would be great for street use. I dont think the single is overrated, but I could see your feelings with something as big as you have now, especially on an auto.
If it makes you feel better, my 61 spools extremely fast:)

Oh BTW I have a built auto w/3800 stall, does yours actually stall to 3800? Mine only goes to 3000 and starts spinning the tires, I think BL sent me the wrong converter.

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
Jason,

You would have been much happier with a 67 dude. How long do you think that built Toyo trans will live at the power that turbo will put down?

Steve k.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
but for now I can truly say the single is overrated. 67DBB sounds so damn good right now...too bad I have shot myself in the foot with a T6 manifold.

Jason
Singles aren't overated. The single you got, just does not fulfill your current needs. I have a 67mm turbo and I absolutely love it. It is a great turbo for both street and track performance. Infact on the street I have a hard time keeping the car straight.

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jason,

You would have been much happier with a 67 dude. How long do you think that built Toyo trans will live at the power that turbo will put down?

Steve k.
I know Steve...I will see how I like it after I tune it/put the fuel on. If I am still unsatisfied with the drivability, the car will go up for sale....and will be replaced with a 6-speed. I would love to put a 6-speed in this car but I just cant justify the cost to convert.

Jason

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
eh...I took the go big or go home approach, wish I would have went home with a pair of stockers. I am sure I will see god once the fuel go's on...but for now I can truly say the single is overrated. 67DBB sounds so damn good right now...too bad I have shot myself in the foot with a T6 manifold.

Jason
I also use a 67. Its actually the BL67DBB kit with .68a/r. I love the spool and its VERY STREET FRIENDLY. My turbo spools about 39-4000rpm and it feels awesome. I am on stock fuel right now but waiting on the fuel system. This kit is capable of 650whp, any more HP than that isn't very street friendly. You can't use all that horsepower at all. I dynoed 489whp @ 17.5 psi. Fuel system, I am hoping to get 600whp. Perfect to kill 99.9% of cars on the road and good for about a solid 11.0 pass at the 1/4. my car is a 6speed btw.

Goodluck on your turbo setup, sucks you have a t6 manifold caus I was gonna say just downgrade the turbo. But the housing is huge!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
HotSoup,

Thanks for your post!! I have been debatting going single from my twins (which I LOVE!!). Everyone keeps saying "lag is overrated" or "go big or go home". Your post proves what I thought...quick spool is more important to me than huge HP. Cheers!!

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much boost are you pushing. Sorry you are regretting the turbo, on the 6-speed it was awsome.

Lawrence
Lawrence,
I am running on wastegate which is 1bar....I am sure it was killer on the 6-speed I just have to suffer through the entire RPM range to get into boost.

Jason

8,181 Posts
man that turbo has to be laggy. i ran a T88h for a while with sock fuel & comp after my twinns went bad. that only takes around 5000 rpm to spool on 17lbs.
then i put 64-1. i see +ve boost at 3500 and full around 4200 with a .81 A/R.
now i got the comp and the fuel. will try both turbos again.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
42R feels awesome on a 6 speed (what I've driven). To carry on with the go big or go home theme with the auto, you'll need a TH400 w/ transbrake and a little more stall to wake that turbo up. It ought to make enough power to frag the built toyota box in fairly short order anyhow. After you go TH400 you'll need to worry about the diff. :)

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
Jason -

I agree with Steve 100% as going down to a 67-71mm turbo would make the car really come alive. The Gt42's do look cool and all but I do not care for the huge lag that comes with them. I do not even have a DBB67 and my car is VERY responsive with the 3800stall. If I where you I would sell what you have and put 67-71mm turbo on it and be done with it. I think my setup is absolutely kicks ass in just about every situation I am in.

I am going to shoot for 9's this fall with my pea shooter and thats as fast as I want my street car to go, I think trying to go much faster will make the car much less enjoyable to drive.

Bob

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What rpm do you hit 1 bar at? (under a decent load, like 2nd or 3rd gear)
probably around 5K lawrence...not sure until I log it though

Jason -

I agree with Steve 100% as going down to a 67-71mm turbo would make the car really come alive. The Gt42's do look cool and all but I do not care for the huge lag that comes with them. I do not even have a DBB67 and my car is VERY responsive with the 3800stall. If I where you I would sell what you have and put 67-71mm turbo on it and be done with it. I think my setup is absolutely kicks ass in just about every situation I am in.

I am going to shoot for 9's this fall with my pea shooter and thats as fast as I want my street car to go, I think trying to go much faster will make the car much less enjoyable to drive.

Bob
Bob, I agree with both you and Steve....but I am going to try out this setup first and see how everything is. I will update this as I tune the car and get it dialed in. Needless to say its going to be a while before this setup hits the track.

Jason

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I believe that once you have it on a decent tune you wont be bothered too much by the extended lag in the rpms. You have to understand that this type of application is not going to drive like the stock twins. You will learn to love it!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts