Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ever since the rebuild my car has been running pretty well, just a little too "stock" if you know what I mean. I had been getting just under .5 BAR with a 4mm of washers on the wastegate, an APEXi open element filter, and stock exaust with the second cat punched out. I installed the MBC I made a while back on Sat and I could get a bit better response and ~.1BAR more boost - marginal. I picked up a used HKS downpipe for cheap and installed it last night and holy crap! My friend and I could tell a very slight diff in the exhaust tone at idle, but the first time down the street I floored it and went right into fuel cut like a brick wall. I checked the peak on the Defi and it displayed 1.1 BAR - at 4k in 2nd gear on a stock CT!! I was like "Shit that's high!" I cruised around the block to an empty street and went WOT in 2nd again only to blow an intercooler hose, luckily right infront of some redneck's house who was working on his truck so I got a new worm clamp from him, wrenched it down, and off I go. I was wary about racing my boss in his APR chipped GTi until now, I think I'm gonna take him for all he's worth ;) After I tune that boost to somewhere under fuel cut that is.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
.woooooo 16psi on a ct....

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go tune that down on my lunch break today. I can't even go WOT in 3rd or higher for more than one full second at any rpm without hitting fuel cut. I think I'm going to disconnect the stock catback when I race that GTi this weekend.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
drill out your afm screw and back it out some. or take off the washers. glad to hear the cars up and about and your not in jail any more man!

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
uh... yeah, that day sucked. I have to get to the dyno to see how she's running before I start messing with the afm. I need to find a good dyno day somewhere close to sqeeze in on.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I hope your not on the stock hg. hehe. I just blew mine a few weeks ago running 16 psi daily. Held for 3 months though. :madjerk:

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang, sorry to hear about that, but no I have replaced mine. I have an HKS 1.2 with ARP studs on a freshly rebuilt bottom end balanced, blueprinted, and ceramic/moly coated high comp. .020 over pistons with a rebuilt head and ARP main and rod hardware. 16 psi is way too much for a non-upgraded ct-26 anyway since it is out of it's efficiency range at ~15. I won't have the money to upgrade it until this summer anyway.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with running that much boost on the ct. Supposebly its suppose to be blowin hot air after 15 but it wont blow it to a million pieces. I ran 15 to 20 psi daily on my ct and its still running strong and is on a 7mgte cressida now still holding up at 14 psi.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
lol with intake and exhaust i took out a chipped GLi jetta while i was at 10 psi.. i say you shouldn't have a problem.. i think he only trapped 94

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
DiscoStu-
What did it cost you to ceramicoat and moli your pistons?
And where did you get it done?
PM me if you'd like- I'm really interested in doing this as well.
Thanx

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
supra8795 said:
Theres nothing wrong with running that much boost on the ct. Supposebly its suppose to be blowin hot air after 15 but it wont blow it to a million pieces. I ran 15 to 20 psi daily on my ct and its still running strong and is on a 7mgte cressida now still holding up at 14 psi.
JonnyRedline said:
.woooooo 16psi on a ct....

:faint:

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
take out the washers in the WG and your home made MBC. then you should be running ~8-9psi

that should be good for now. get a full exhaust (or just take it off and run the DP :naughty: ) and a real MBC and you should be good for 1 bar daily! :D

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Supraguy - no problem: I had all my machining, coating, and shortblock assy. done at Automotive Machine and Supply here in Fort Worth. I did everything at once so I don't remember the price, but you can call them if you can get their number off the website. Ask for Steve and tell him Matt with the mkIII sent you.

tissimo - Yeah, the Golf should be a nonissue. I forgot to mention he has a major audio system, an original clutch, and low profile tires on 18's. Plus I just swapped out my diff for the one I had in my old N/A Sport, the 4.3:1 with new Redline fluid and LSD additive :eek:

supra8795 - I understand that the shaft may be able to handle the speeds at that pressure for some time before grenading, but I don't feel there is any perfomance to gain by taking that risk. I guess I'll just have to try it on the dyno.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts