Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
500hp+
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people have home security cameras affixed to the out side of their residence? If you do have them please specify which brand and system you have and why you choose that system.

I am currently looking at the Arlo And Nest systems. The Arlo seems nice for my situation because it is completely wireless, so there is no need to have an electrical outlet for power, Also comes with basic service that lets you keep the past 7 days of motion- and sound-triggered recordings, for up to 5 cameras.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Personal opinion: if you do get the Arlo, get the Arlo 2. It's worth it. The picture quality is awesome. We just installed it in our home and it works as much as you want something to be without paying the monthly fees for upgrades.

Now, another route is to put up actual HD CCTV and a couple terabyte DVR (easily accessible recordings for a month which would surprise you, how cheap you can piece em together. But with that, if you are well versed in networking and IP stuff. It will be cheap. If you have someone installing it for you it goes up in costs.

So go Arlo 2.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
500hp+
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, definitely won’t be going with an actual cctv system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a mix of Swann wire free Camera's (similar to Arlo) and kkmoon IP cameras (aliexpress specials). I store all my data on a computer which is backed up offsite. I don't usually like to leverage cloud services.

It gets annoying to bring in th camera's to charge so I'm looking for some kind of usb Solar solution right now to keep them powered up. They last about 1 month on a charge.

What I do like about the Swann camera's is they have local storage or cloud storage so you get the choice. So if my pc dies or internet dies I still get 7-10 days of content.

I link them to my DVR (my pc) and do the cloud thing myself.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Yeah, I am using Thermal (FLIR) Camera, and the good thing is this that it's not chargeable, it can work 24 hours because I dont like charging cameras. its lil bit an irritating work. I bought it from Reecoupons.com if you wanna buy it or need more options much visit there.

·
...pop the hood!
813 Posts
subbed

·
Registered
578 Posts
foscam --anything with the cloud service (most new models have this). $75 camera + micro SD card, free app, can't beat them. real (non ir) motion detection, zones, email / app alerts. remote two way audio.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I looked at the foscam stuff and it was very lacking on the actual implementation of its features it claims. Also the resolution was crap on the cameras. (I bought 2 of their wireless cameras and sold them because they were very lacking. Nothing is more infuriating than grainy images when you actually need to see what happened.

I ended up with an "actual CCTV system" from Samsung. 1080P resolution, 8 cameras, (expandable to 16 if desired) and its power over Ethernet, so you only have to run an Ethernet line to each camera.

I installed this with a friend over 3 years ago. It has been a great system and has worked very well for me. DVR holds ~10 days worth of non-stop footage, so Its easy to look back and get video if you discover something is wrong. Also Samsung systems utilize the WiseView viewer that makes your cameras view able through your phone anywhere you have service. You will have to generate a static IP, tunnel through and connect everything, but any decent IT guy can walk you though the process.

All in all, I give my system a 9.5 our of 10. The only reason it doesn't get a perfect score is sometimes the app must be restarted to show me my camera images and the resolution on the app isn't nearly as good as the actual DVR footage (for obvious reasons).

Model: SNK-D5081
Brand: Samsung

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGY7HIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hikvision POE recording to a freenas server. IMO the best way to go is POE. You can also run SD cards in the Hikvision ones if you don't want to setup a NAS. From there you can access the recordings via the web gui.

·
JetFire
5,277 Posts
Hikvision POE recording to a freenas server. IMO the best way to go is POE. You can also run SD cards in the Hikvision ones if you don't want to setup a NAS. From there you can access the recordings via the web gui.
I would get rid of HikVision immediately, I work in the commercial side of Physical Security and all of our customers that had them switched out. See link below.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts