Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was looking at the $20 or less thread and saw this,
Want to get the cool warning feature of a $200 boost gauge but at a discounted crackhead price, read up and thank me later

I just added these to my car and they work great, all it takes is.....

- adjustable hobbs type pressure switch (around $10)
- LED or other light ($1)
- 16 gauge wire ($1)
- wiring skills of a 1st grader
- even add a buzzer if you are to stupid to see the light

easiest way to get the pressure switches is on ebay they have ones adjustable from 1-25psi and they wil even pre-set them for you.

pretty much the pressure switch has a basic circuit and when the amount of boost is reached it will flip the switch and turn on the LED light and sound the buzzer if you got one

works like a charm, I think this could go down as the BEST mod for under $20

this is only the beginning i am also wiring up warning lights for low fuel pressure and maybe even a low oil light that only comes on under boost

edit: pic of pressure sensor available at http://stores.ebay.com/Be-Cooling and http://stores.ebay.com/coolingmist

and it got me to thinking, couldnt you use that in combination with this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290326480728

to make a ghetto looking but reliable boost controller for under fifty bucks?
seems like it would work to me, what do you guys think

· 7M Fanatic
3,614 Posts
That valve will not react fast enough, and your pistons will be in 'Boost Spike Heven' before you know it.
Also, EBCs pulse the opening of their valves, to stay away from that type of problem.
Look at the Apex sol. valve, it is nothing more than a miniture air valve.
(I have a 25 year background in air & hydraulic systems)
But without a better control than just a pressure switch, your asking for trouble.

Or if your brave, try it, but use a much smaller valve.
I'll be watching (I love it when people part out their Supras, I find a lot of good deals that way)

· Banned
7,225 Posts
It's threads like this that only add to why MK4 guys talk down on MK3 folks. How much is a Hallman manual boost controller?

-Alex

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha i like my supra so i think im good and i get what youre saying about the pulsing, but dont MBC not? i mean they just flick on right?
im just asking for future reference
and thanks for the quick response btw :)

· 7M Fanatic
3,614 Posts
haha i like my supra so i think im good and i get what youre saying about the pulsing, but dont MBC not? i mean they just flick on right?
im just asking for future reference
and thanks for the quick response btw :)
Manual boost controllers decrease the pressure going to the waste gate actuator.
By adjusting the spring pressure, you cause more or less of a pressure drop in that line, and thus a manifold pressure of say 10 psi, will only be 7 psi, if the spring holding the check valve closed in the manual boost controller is set at 3 psi.
Your waste gate only sees 7 psi, when the actual manifold pressure is 10 psi.
But they (manual boost controllers) are far from precise.
Especially the El-Cheapo home brew ones being sold on eBay.

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
lmfao @ DegreE

Also DegreE is right, get an EBC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.