Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was nice this afternoon and I had just finished tracking down a coolant leak on my MKIV, so I decided to take it out, get it warmed up and see if I had the problem fixed. Stopped at the gas station to fill up, popped the hood, checked the lines, closed the hood, and took off. About 10 minutes later I did a small pull from about 30-60 MPH as I was adjusting my new Hallman MBC a little bit at a time. Boosted to maybe 3/4 BAR, upshifted and let off the gas since the MBC needed to be adjusted to get to the 1 BAR I was targeting. Two seconds later...BANG:

Ugh. Maneuvered the car to a turn lane and pulled off onto a side street. Hood was still attached to the hinges, hinges were still attached to the car, just extended a bit more than recommended. Here are some aftermath pics:

Broken Windshield:

Targa Top Damage (hood scoop makes an impression alright!):

Roof Damage:

Hood:

Driver Side Hood Latch:

Passenger Side Hood Latch:

So, as you can see, the car is more or less F-ed :) Here's the situation: I had my hood, front fenders and bumper repainted in January at a local autobody shop. At the same time, they corrected some front end damage from a previous owner, and they also fixed the hood latches as they weren't lining up properly with the stock hood I had recently gotten.

When I got the car back from paint, the hood latched the same way it had with the previous carbonfiber hood on it, i.e. you couldn't put the hood down and just push it into a locked position, it had to be dropped from a foot or two to latch, although less so than the CF one. This seemed normal to me as I had driven the car thousands of miles with the CF hood and had no problems. With the stock hood being heavier and the latches repaired, I figured it was fine, especially since it looked and felt locked in and solid.

As to today, I absolutely closed the hood at the gas station, dropping the hood from about 2 feet and seeing that it sat tight against the bumper gasket and headlights as usual. When I let off the gas I glanced at the speedometer and it was a tick below 60 mph, so when the hood came up I was somewhere between 50 and 60 mph. I haven't driven the car much since I got it back from paint, so I don't know if I have gone much above 60 mph with this hood setup. I didn't see any hood vibration or fluttering today nor at anytime since the latches were re-aligned.

Here's my question: Is there anything other than incorrect hood latch installation that can explain this? As you can see in the pics above, both latches were released when I examined them. Just trying to get any info I can before I approach the shop about it.

Also, anyone know any particulars on repairing the targa and the damage to the roof of the car? I know replacement targas are rare, so I don't have that working for me. I couldn't tell whether the A and C pillars are deformed, I will look into it more tomorrow. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading, at least I didn't take the targa off before I went out today!
Chris

·
Single Turbo
711 Posts
Damn that hurt to see those pics. I always kinda worry about stuff like that. Did you hear the hood latches clicking in?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hood pins!!! Damn that sucks man. Good luck on the fix! :)

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Ouch man, I feel for ya.
Car looked good prior to this, best of luck getting everything fixed.

·
Registered
942 Posts
sucks to see something like that happen man,

it's kind of hard to imagine both latches fail at the same time, since i'd think if even just one of them was properly locked in place, it should be able to hold the hood down. Then again, they both might not have locked correctly, but good enough for it to hold on until what just happened. Which bring me to my final thought, is it possible for the wire (hood release wire) to get caught up on something under the hood, causing it to pull open the hood?

Good luck on getting her fixed up again,

Luke.

·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

4CEDFED22: It's hard pick out specific sounds when you drop the hood, but it certainly seemed like the usual noise of the hood latching in and clicking. Nothing different than usual that I heard or observed when I closed it.

Supra_punk: Can't imagine needing hood pins for a stock metal hood with two latches, particularly when I am not a top end type of guy, but you never know it seems. I don't even want to think about this happening at high speed, it would be a disaster.

Luke94: I agree that it would be odd for both latches to fail at the same time, so I imagine it is an installation error not allowing the latches to fully lock. I am hoping someone might have some insight into this though as I don't want to jump to conclusions. I believe the hood latch wire is shielded and tucked away from most moving parts, so I don't think it is the likely culprit, however I will look into it tomorrow just in case.

Thanks again!
Chris

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
It looks like you were missing the center hood latch... i.e- the one you have to pull with your hands to open the hood.

I'm on my third hood, and I think fourth windshield.... this time running hood pins :)

(My problem was that I wasn't running the center hood latch, and I would forget/accidentally pop my hood and not remember to close it)

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
before I read the whole story, I looked at the pics and was about to ask if the car has been involved in front end colission, then decided to read the rest of the post,I belive the latches failed due to the fact of poor repairs or bad adjustment,although there is not much to adjust besides the rubber stops on radiator support , there is no adjustment on the latches, so the front structure of the car has to be precise in order for both latches to function properly, also it helps to have all the factory hardware installed as well as the center safety latch.
Oh, and stock MKIV hood is actually made out of aluminum not metal
Stefan

·
Registered
231 Posts
wow, thats horrible... my hood moves up n down alot on the highway and im always afraid that something like this is going to happen... looks like im getting hood pins this week!!! that looks like it hurt man, good luck with the fix-up

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. I always try to remember to double check my hood after I close it to make sure it's locked down, but I guess you don't want to hear that. Sorry to see that.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Aww man, sorry to see your unfortunate luck. That really sucks. Especially after having fresh paint and all. Wow, the roof and targa sure got beat up. I tend to believe the center latch, had it been in place, would have prevented this. You know, the one you have to release, after popping the hood, with your hand.

There was this one time when I was driving my truck and must not have closed the hood hard enough. I usually try to be gentle with all my vehicles. I hate slamming hoods. Anyway, it popped up on me at about 60 mph but the center release latch never let it get any higher. I quickly pulled over and closed it down more firmly.

Heck, half the time I see people driving around with beater cars who have there hood popped up, but the center latch continues to hold it down, despite them passing me at 70 mph or better. It would make me very nervous, but they seem to get away with it all the time.

I noticed on my Supra I can close the hood gently by setting it down and then pressing on it with my hands to till the latch locks, but it almost seems better to drop the hood because I almost feel like the pressure I exert is enough to bend the aluminum. Now days I usually try to drop it from two feet or so. I hate doing that.

You guys who have had 4 hood failures, how in the world does that happen? After market carbon fiber hoods or something? Yikes! One good reason right there not to go carbon fiber. I hate the look of hood pins on an otherwise smooth looking car, although these pins are pretty nice looking and fit pretty darn flush. If I had to get pins, I would get these....

http://aerocatch.com/images/photo-locking.jpg

·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Supradedupra: Interesting, that completely slipped my mind as this car has never had a center latch in the time I have had it (bought it in 2005). Now that I think about it, I remember my old 95TT having one, but when I got this current 94TT, it had a CF hood and there was no center latch on it. When I traded my CF hood for a stock one, I don't remember a latch coming with it and I don't recall it ever being mentioned when I was going through all the repair work with the body shop. Where does the latch actually grab onto the car? The only other car I work on with regularity is a reverse clamshell hood, so it's been a while since I even thought about it. Thanks for bringing that up.

1badsup: Thanks for the observation, I will make sure to bring that up when I go over the latches with the shop. I may be PMing you about that targa shell ;)

exvelocity: I started a thread on here when I first got the stock hood asking about why my latches didn't line up with the hood that you replied to a couple times. After seeing your advise, I decided to not do a short term solution and to have a bodyshop fix it properly. Since I had been rear-ended a month or so before, I decided to have the shop fix the front at the same time. They put it on a frame machine and said they straightened it as best they could. Obviously that radiator bar still looks off somewhat. I am semi-surprised they never mentioned the center latch, didn't think of that at all.

DarkCerberus: The carbonfiber hood I used to have moved a lot at any speeds over 40 mph. It was enough to make me worry about it, and since I didn't want to put hoodpins in, I went back to a stock hood. This hood never moved at all that I could tell until yesterday.

chriso: I check the hood every time I close it, making sure it is down tight against the rubber along the bumper cover and the headlights. The other day I was at a shop having a guy look at putting an alcohol injection kit in the car and he closed my hood when we were done. Before leaving I re-popped it and closed it again to make sure it was done properly. After seeing my old CF hood move around I have been very careful about making sure it is latched.

Espeefan: My truck doesn't have a center latch so it didn't register to me that I was missing something on the Supra. When I had my CF hood I bought the AeroCatch pins as they looked as clean as you were going to get. I decided it was still going to be awkward, so I went back to the stock hood for safety and a cleaner look. Didn't work out as well as I had hoped :)

Thanks for the replies, I think I have a slightly better handle on it now.
Chris

·
V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!!
715 Posts
Sucks to see such damage. I had that happen to my 1993 MR2 and it wasn't cool. Luckily the wnidshield didnt smash in or you wouldve had a mouthful of glass (happensed to another guy I knew.) Why don;t you use this opportunity and just get a CF hood with the Aero hood pins? I understand that you don't want to drill or anything, but the positives outweigh the negatives. If you repurchase an aluminum hood there is no guarantee this won't happens again. Plus repairing the latches can consume time... think about it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
the center latch should hold it down. I have forgotten to totaly seat the hood a few times just prior to an 50-80mph highway venture. Both times the center latch held it down fine.

Pray to god that you can repair the section behind the targa, replacing it will be $$$.

·
Something cool
670 Posts
the center latch should hold it down. I have forgotten to totaly seat the hood a few times just prior to an 50-80mph highway venture. Both times the center latch held it down fine.

Pray to god that you can repair the section behind the targa, replacing it will be $$$.
Same here I've been going up to 80 and the center latch saved my ass a couple times. Also I forgot to screw my targa on and it blew off. It was more fucked up then yours... I got it fixed perfectly for $400... I'm positive a good body shop can get you fixed up easily. Just fix your latches including the center one and you won't have to worry about this ever again....

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Don't we have those rear hooks under the hood at the base of the windshield? I don't remember if those were ment for preventing the hood from lifting in a front end collision.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts