Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a problem with their hood lifting at higher than normal highway speeds?

Can air get caught under the hood and cause to rise, it seems like there is a lot of movement in the hood and I was not sure if there was normal or if there is a fix. It is an OEM hood. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Mine does move but it's not too excessive. seems air is getting under and pushing up on it especially near mid hood. I don't have the plastic air piece that screws into the bottom of the engine so maybe that's why.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine does move but it's not too excessive. seems air is getting under and pushing up on it especially near mid hood. I don't have the plastic air piece that screws into the bottom of the engine so maybe that's why.
What is that piece called?

·
Car guy
803 Posts
It's pretty normal

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
I believe they are officially engine covers but each of them is very important to the aerodynamics and cooling of your car. I have all of mine in place (the care came into my possession with none) and my hood does not lift at all (at 120MPH, not that I ever drive that fast). I don't know if it did before, I installed them before I even drove it. Also make sure you have the weatherstrip on the headlights and on top of the bumper cover. You don't want any air creeping in there. The covers help prevent turbulence under the car and direct airflow correctly per Toyota's designs. They also create a low pressure area behind the radiator to assist with cooling.

There are 4 primary pieces assuming you already have complete inner fenders.
Here are the part numbers:
51441-14140
51442-14040
51451-14010
51451-14030

That consists of 2 covers and the 2 plastic pieces that fit in between to hold them in place correctly.Hopefully that helps!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe they are officially engine covers but each of them is very important to the aerodynamics and cooling of your car. I have all of mine in place (the care came into my possession with none) and my hood does not lift at all (at 120MPH, not that I ever drive that fast). I don't know if it did before, I installed them before I even drove it. Also make sure you have the weatherstrip on the headlights and on top of the bumper cover. You don't want any air creeping in there. The covers help prevent turbulence under the car and direct airflow correctly per Toyota's designs. They also create a low pressure area behind the radiator to assist with cooling.

There are 4 primary pieces assuming you already have complete inner fenders.
Here are the part numbers:
51441-14140
51442-14040
51451-14010
51451-14030

That consists of 2 covers and the 2 plastic pieces that fit in between to hold them in place correctly.Hopefully that helps!
This^^
I have all these pieces and when I had my stock hood, there was zero lifting at even 180mph. Another idea would be good hood pins.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I have engine bay undertrays, all the hood area seals, and fender liners in place and I've never had my OEM hood move enough to even notice, even at speeds over 150mph.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I dont have this pieces under the engine and didnt notice any movement of the hood at 190-200mph.I plan on making a solid fiberglass or kevlar cover in the near future

1 - 11 of 11 Posts