Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Stock Twins King
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased some concealed hood pin sets. AeroCatch I am struggling on exactly where to put them. These require a little bit of hood area, and the hood is so curvy I am having trouble deciding. Has anyone installed these? And where on the hood they put them? After reading about hoods flying off I think it is time to install these since my hood is CF

Thanks--Stu

·
Stock Twins King
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally a chance to sorta help you out after all the times i asked you stock twins questions.. LOL here is a link to a thread showing some pictures of aerocatch hood pins installed on a supra including one pic of my car with them on as well..
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427598

AWESOME ~! I don't know how I missed this. It is rather recent too. Oh well. I see that there are a few places these can go. I will have to decide.

If you wouldnt mind, I would appreciate a picture of the pins installed on the frame. I see the hole, but I want to make sure that I position them correctly before I drill the pilot hole. I assume you installed the pins first, then found away to locate that to the hood. How were you able to transfer the pin location to the underside of the hood anyways.

Stu

·
Highway Demon
2,887 Posts
AWESOME ~! I don't know how I missed this. It is rather recent too. Oh well. I see that there are a few places these can go. I will have to decide.

If you wouldnt mind, I would appreciate a picture of the pins installed on the frame. I see the hole, but I want to make sure that I position them correctly before I drill the pilot hole. I assume you installed the pins first, then found away to locate that to the hood. How were you able to transfer the pin location to the underside of the hood anyways.

Stu
i used white out to do that but i hear wax might be a better soultion since white out dries rather quickly.. and i will try to get picks for you asap..

·
1,070 Posts
I put vaseline on top of the pins, closed the hood, and drilled the pilot hole to where the vaseline transferred onto the hood.

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
I am debating where to put my hood pins as well. I like it more in between the headlights. what are people's thoughts about the two placements shown in this thread? I am curious as to what other's think.

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
Top Secret buys the aerocatch pins and sells them as well. Here is how they did them on the popular hood with the V12 supra:

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
Found another:

·
Stock Twins King
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hrmm, it appears there are 2 baisc installations. 1) Closer to the center of the headlights and at an angle. 2) Straight looking, but more toward the middle of the hood like the gold TS above.

I personally like the straight on look. Although the other way looks like it holds the hood better. When I drive fast, my hood "flaps" somewhat on the sides about the 1st third of the hood. So I think by installing them as far over to the edge might be better.

So I guess it boils down to my preferance of looks vrs better holding.

Thanks for all of the pictures. Time to lay down a plan~!

Stu

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
Found another:

Thats my car again, I like that angled look I chose but would not really recommend it as the radiator has to be out to put it in that location.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Hrmm, it appears there are 2 baisc installations. 1) Closer to the center of the headlights and at an angle. 2) Straight looking, but more toward the middle of the hood like the gold TS above.

I personally like the straight on look. Although the other way looks like it holds the hood better. When I drive fast, my hood "flaps" somewhat on the sides about the 1st third of the hood. So I think by installing them as far over to the edge might be better.

So I guess it boils down to my preferance of looks vrs better holding.

Thanks for all of the pictures. Time to lay down a plan~!

Stu

Is anyone else noticing hood flex with the pins towards the center?

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
IT seems like it would make more sense to install those farther out than the stock hood latches.

Steve K.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts