Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What everyone's opinions on the hood scoops similiar to the Supra European models?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I don't like the tacked-on looks. Functionality is questionable- Autobahn-duration speeds are not widely achievable in the USA . Lastly, you permanently alter a valuable aluminum hood in the process of installing.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i like it, and it helps cool the 5th and 6th cylinders which tend to run hotter than all the others

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think it depends on what mods as well, I think it looks great stock body with a WW front lip, but dont like it so much with a totally stock car.

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
I had the euro scoop on my 94TT until my hood decided to leave the car :) I think the scoop works well with the right accompanying exterior modifications (MVP Lip/RMM Wing/Wingless). Since the search is gone, it is kind of tough to locate some good pics, but BLKLABL's car is a good example of the scoop fitting with the color & body scheme:

With the MVP lip and a black car, the scoop is sort of muted while still making the car a bit more aggressive. Here's my car with the scoop:

I obviously like it, so I'm biased, but I think it works well with the car. Not sure about the actual cooling benefits since it would only bring air in and direct it (with the correct under-the-hood parts), not let air escape at the same time. I am sure the benefits are there, just don't know if they would ever manifest themselves in real driving conditions. Hope that helps.
Chris

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
I dont like them myself but it looks fine in that pic posted.

·
MK4 of Them
1,173 Posts
i love it..i have a trd hood and stillen bumper right now and probably gna go to that look with stock bumper/lip/stock hood/scoop in the future

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
I like it but I am concerned about rain in the bay - more from just having to clean it alot....

·
889 Posts
98mkiv: Mark, that why you sold me your scoop? I think if you get the full kit and don't have a strut tower bar (or modify things to make it work), rain shouldn't be an issue. Here's the full scoop diagram with the under-the-hood rain shield:

The scoop was after all a stock part from Toyota for the UK, so if it is done correctly with all the parts I can't imagine rain being a problem. Of course the other solution is...don't drive the car in the rain! That's what I do...or don't do ;)
Chris

·
Silent
1,412 Posts
I obviously like it said:
The air that goes in through the scoop goes out under the car or through plenty of escapable holes. The engine is not an airtight area :). If nothing else, it'd help make the air even more turbulent which would increase cooling as well.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
The scoop with all related accessories will lead to the snorcel on the side of the engine helping to cool the exhaust area of the twins.-So mostly cylinders 3 and 4. Since there would occure a heat problem when doing extended pulls on highways or on roadtracks. When someone is doing that with the twins I strongly recommend it. I mean Toyota put it there for a purpose on the European cars with the Autobahns.. ;)
The water inside of the engine bay is not that much. It´s only dropping on the passenger side valve cover but that´s about it..
When using a single it will not bring a big benefit IMO since the area is not that tight then and hot air can escape better.
Just my 0.02

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think it breaks the smooth look of the car. I would rather see a Viper style scoop that does not stick up from the hood. Just my 2c

·
889 Posts
Hokiesup: I don't disagree that the euro hood scoop provides some degree of cooling, I just don't know whether it is a particularly effective mod if that is your primary goal. I think if you were trying to make a real difference in under hood temperatures, venting the hood to allow hot air to escape would be the first step, perhaps in conjunction with a scoop/air inlet secondarily. That seems to be the focus of most aftermarket hoods I have seen, but what do I know?

Also, Toyota must not have considered the scoop terribly effective except in extreme circumstances as it was only offered on UK models where Autobahn-type extended high-speed runs might be in play (read: legal), and not in the US or Japan. Either way, I am sure the scoop helps a bit, plus I like how it looks :)

8valveprick: I like the euro scoop, but the Do-Luck hood was my first option and it resembles the Viper hood inlet-wise:

If it weren't on what seemed like an indefinite back order I think it would be a great alternative to the scoop.
Chris

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
I think it looks in black! No, really, I do. I was never a fan of tacked on parts, but the black Mk Ivs, posted so far, with the front lips and scoops do look good. Personally, I'd rather have a NACA duct, like the Do-Luck hood has. Even better, would the NACA duct to the passenger side of the car, sitting right above a max air intake box so the open element filter we all run would get fresh, hopefully cooler, outside air.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I love mine:)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts