Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The supra community doesnt seem to get along too well with tire pricing. id like to be the first i hope to bring cheap tires to the community. www.hoosiertire.com
now i need some help from you guys. what would be an optimum tire setup for me on the stock rims. i managed to get another set for really cheap. whats a good tire size for stock rims? also whats the difference between R3SO4 and the R3SO5?

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
for stock rims? Isn't the best 245/40 and 275/40 ?

I'd have to go look outside to find out... :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
over doing it?

quick just the man i was looking for...do you think the R3S05 275/40/17 up front and R3S05 315/35/17 would be a little over doing it on the stock rims? thats the setup id like to start off with. maybe order 4 of the 275s and 2 of the 315s. if the 315s are a little too big then i could always sell them and run the 275s all around. anyone think the initial 275/315 would work at all?

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
I think that size would rub in the fronts. Check the aspect ratios in a tire calculator.

I think that sizing is definitely too much for stock rims + offsets, but I'm no expert on stock sizing.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
I don't think they've got the 245's on clearance. They had some 255 (but they were 45 series I think, I'm looking for lower front series than rear) in R and 275 in R & A compound. I was considering trying these as my first grippy tires. Is putting the same width tread on different sizes wheel widths ok?

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
no problem with putting the same size tires on diff size rims as long as they are within the width range recommended for the tire. the wider wheel will enlarge the contact patch a litte.

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,570 Posts
prsrcokr said:
I don't think they've got the 245's on clearance. They had some 255 (but they were 45 series I think, I'm looking for lower front series than rear) in R and 275 in R & A compound. I was considering trying these as my first grippy tires. Is putting the same width tread on different sizes wheel widths ok?
Dont you autox? Get the "A" series tires. You wont be able to get enough heat in the R3s05's during a short autox run for them to get in the temp zone.

The last # in the A3SO4 is the series # closely related to the year they came out. Hoosiers newest tire is the A3SO6.

Also, use the tire suggested for the rim size. A 315 tire on a 9 1/2" rim will have a horrible contact patch and a horrible sidewall caracteristics, i.e. they will want to "fold" on you.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
They don't have the sizes I'd like on clearance (don't think a 275 would do well on a 8.5" front wheel) I think I might try the victoracer or maybe the V710 (a little more than the victoracer)
I was considering an Azenis or MX but the extra grip would be nice. Anything will beat these 5 y/o Dunlops ;)
Thanks folks,

PS-How about a tire review thread in this forum? It's the only one I visit and seems like it'd help people looking to track/autox their rides.
Brian

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
prsrcokr said:
PS-How about a tire review thread in this forum? It's the only one I visit and seems like it'd help people looking to track/autox their rides.
Brian
Go ahead and start one. If you want to figure out a good structure for the reviews in you proposed thread that would help as well.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Ok, I'll start one (haven't bought a compition/extreme performance tire yet)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts