Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got my car back together, still got a couple things to do, bleed clutch, swap the afm out, double check everything. I put a new oem head gasket on, three angle valve job, arp head studs, decked head, stock bottom end 132k bearings and all looked PERFECT, ct-26 etc. basically all stock. What kind of power are people making on this kind of setup and is it reliable?

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
I've been running a Fel-pro stock-type gasket since Nov. (ARP bolts @ 85 lbs.) at ~1.2-1.3 bar (ebc isn't set properly) - about 12k miles. But no racing, etc., just DD, so I don't hit full boost a lot.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
most important is the hardware and torque, then tune it correctly.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i've seen the 12's, trapped over 110mph, pulled over 400tq all on stock felpro hg. the key, not too much timing, proper head bolt torque, and high octane gas. and it'll survive quite a bit. mine was at around 1.6bar when the clutch started to slip at the drag strip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much timing are you running?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
soupdog89 said:
how much timing are you running?
when i pulled 353bhp 410tq that was on 4degrees of advance at 1.5 bar. at the track i was running stock timing around 12degrees with the same boost. but i only run 100octane at those boost levels. right now i'm at 12psi on 91 octane because my kevlar clutch isnt holding at full boost.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I ran 87 octane at 15 psi. It was pretty quick. 92 octane was smoother (probably better on the hg too), but otherwise not much difference.

G

·
ur probably better off just spending the 300 dollars and gettin a metal head gasket and arp head bolts but if u do stay w/ the stock HG then tourque it to 76ft/lbs and pray

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
89supturbo said:
ur probably better off just spending the 300 dollars and gettin a metal head gasket and arp head bolts but if u do stay w/ the stock HG then tourque it to 76ft/lbs and pray
mines at 90, works fine. i'll pull well over 400hp on it next time i dyno

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mines the stock hg with arp studs at 80, didnt go metal bc i didnt tear the block on the way down.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
im running 14degree timing, 307 rwhp. go to the track whenever i can. 94 octane. boost it when i feel like it. did a leakd own test and compression and it hasnt change in the past year so im not worried about mine :) 12 psi Daily.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
LordLo said:
I ran 87 octane at 15 psi. It was pretty quick. 92 octane was smoother (probably better on the hg too), but otherwise not much difference.
I hope you like destroying your engine... if you love it and don't want to ruin it, NEVER RUN ANYTHING OTHER THAN PREMIUM RATED FUEL OR HIGHER AGAIN!!!!!!1111ONEONEONE

I'm running an oem style hg, have dynoed ~320whp several times at 10-12 psi on an upgraded CT on all stock fuel and timing/ignition. To be perfectly honest, i drive the piss out of my car and boost it frequently. But, I maintain it very well and after ~20k miles on the new build, everything is doing just fine.

As far as what you can do with a stock hg... as long as all of your machine work was done well and the head was torqued down correctly, with a properly running engine, you can do just about anything. The only thing the oem style hg lacks oer metal is resistance to damage due to detonation. But, if you know what you're doing, your engine won't denonate and you won't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Chrisco said:
I hope you like destroying your engine... if you love it and don't want to ruin it, NEVER RUN ANYTHING OTHER THAN PREMIUM RATED FUEL OR HIGHER AGAIN!!!!!!1111ONEONEONE

HAHA reminds me of the first part of the "forum newbie" video with "little billy."

And I definitely agree. I don't even run 87 in my daily driver and it's just a 4 cyl. Altima. I firmly believe that stuff should only be used in lawn mowers and the like. According to the math it only costs a few cents more per gallon after you figure in the extra MPG.

Edit: WOOT! 100 posts!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
DevinWolfe said:
HAHA reminds me of the first part of the "forum newbie" video with "little billy."

And I definitely agree. I don't even run 87 in my daily driver and it's just a 4 cyl. Altima. I firmly believe that stuff should only be used in lawn mowers and the like. According to the math it only costs a few cents more per gallon after you figure in the extra MPG.

Edit: WOOT! 100 posts!
I'm a fine example of what type of abuse the "EBAY" death wish headgaskets can take. :bigthumb:

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
LordLo said:
I'm a fine example of what type of abuse the "EBAY" death wish headgaskets can take. :bigthumb:
No, you're an example of why toyota engineered the supra's ECU to pull massive amounts of timing when the knock sensors start going crazy from detonation.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Chrisco said:
No, you're an example of why toyota engineered the supra's ECU to pull massive amounts of timing when the knock sensors start going crazy from detonation.
Supra runs fine though so I don't really see your point. :rolleyes:

Higher octane fuels only reduces the risk of ping; doesn't ensure it. What you're saying is that using 87 octane will certainly lead to the destruction of 7mgte engine, but that hypothesis clearly does not hold completely true; otherwise my engine SHOULD have blown after 8 continous redline races at 15 psi(or at the least showed some mild case of the bhg). If timing was MASSIVELY pulled, I also should have lost to my friends WRX, however, I managed to win by several cars. There were minor backfire's during the race while shifting which I "thought" was detonation, but it was because the engine ran too rich in between shifts due to my atmospheric BOV and the ECU dumping fuel.

So for you to condemn me for using 87 octane is completely absurd. Of course it is always best to use the highest grade fuels, but I'm just saying in my case it wasn't necessary.

Obviously cases vary, just because I can use 87 octane and be fine doesn't mean your car can handle it. There are many factors that will allow certain fuel grades to be sufficient such as altitude, temperature, cooling efficiency, and fuel purity. Ex: The effect altitude has on engine compression. Increased compression mean increased octane, but other things can offset the requirement as well such as the outside or engine operating temperature.

Enough said, I'm sure you get the point.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
LordLo said:
Supra runs fine though so I don't really see your point. :rolleyes: .....

Yada yada yada....

So for you to condemn me for using 87 octane is completely absurd. Of course it is always best to use the highest grade fuels, but I'm just saying in my case it wasn't necessary.

Yada yada yada....

Enough said, I'm sure you get the point.
1. Read your owners manual.

2. Your friend's WRX is slow.

3. What about that series of threads you made within the past few weeks about engine noises, knocks, pings, loss of power, etc?

4. You're still just lucky.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
manual says mid grade is required with high grade recommended for best performance

that's STOCK though...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts