Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower can you get out of a 7m-gte running stock internals??

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
most say the upper limit is around 550rwhp

but you might fail earlier, you never know, usually the stock internals are pretty good to 500RWHP

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Keep in mind, at these power levels, the engines life expectancy is gone. It will hold the power, but it will eventually break.

·
2,279 Posts
conundrum07 said:
Keep in mind, at these power levels, the engines life expectancy is gone. It will hold the power, but it will eventually break.
You got any timetables with corresponding hp levels to support that claim?

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
Top fuel dragsters are fully built and they break all the time. I am curious to see how the stock internals would would up too. I will do a full rebuild on a 7M sooner or later. I have most of the car planned out but I don't know enough about different internals to make a decision there. Just being able to hold under a lot of power is cool and all but longevity is key.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
top fuel dragsters are also 7000 HP and running nitro methane, and 40 somethin psi of boost, but other then that, they are exactly like a 3 liter straight six passenger car engine:rolleyes:

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
outofstep said:
You got any timetables with corresponding hp levels to support that claim?
Yup...:fawk: :p

No but really, most high HP guys eventually blow their motor. There are really too many variables to consider to say "You will blow at X amount of horse power" You might get away with it for a quite a while, but not forever at 500+ rwhp.

The 'weak' point seems to be the pistons. A built 7M with just forged pistons and a MHG/ARP bolts should hold whatever you want to throw its way assuming it was assembled correctly.

·
Turbonetics..faggot asses
1,062 Posts
conundrum07 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Formerly Nosechunks
1,071 Posts
conundrum07 said:

No but really, most high HP guys eventually blow their motor. There are really too many variables to consider to say "You will blow at X amount of horse power" You might get away with it for a quite a while, but not forever at 500+ rwhp.

The 'weak' point seems to be the pistons. A built 7M with just forged pistons and a MHG/ARP bolts should hold whatever you want to throw its way assuming it was assembled correctly.
sorry to bring up a old thread but im rebuilding my engine over winter and im thinkin of going with JE's. im not looking for most ammount of power possible but how much could i really have? i saw people say nething u can make, and on stock internals around 550hp. im just wondering if i just get forged pistons and get my rods shot peened if thats all i should worrie about. i dont wana have to rebuild my engine every year because i want more power. id rather just build it once the right way to handel alot of power. if when all said and done could handel around 600rwhp thats i think all id need for crusing around on the streets. does jsut getting forged pistons and stock rods shot peened sound like enough?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think you should be fine with those JE forged pistons. Also may wan't to look into some brand new rods. I believe Crower makes some for our engine.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
eh. it's been over 2 yrs for my car.....STOCK bottom end. almost 100 1/4 mile passes, many autoxs/track days and of course, all the street racing.....how long the engine lasts depends entirely on how well it's tuned.....

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Yeah I agree. I also believe another reason why people kill there 7M's is because they try to run too much boost on too little octane. I have been running well over 400rwhp for a while now(on stock internals), and never run anything below 93octane. And I never run over 18psi without race gas mixed in.

·
Formerly Nosechunks
1,071 Posts
ZoranC said:
Who cares how much engine can take if driveline is not up to it? Your chain is as strong as its weakest link.
well i care more about motor internals becasue thats the most expensive part. if i blow the tranny a new ones 300-600 bucks drive shaft 200-400 rear idk exactaly but the motors 1-2 grand.

im not aiming for too much horsepower just enough to break 12's so i dont think my rear or driveshaft is really in any danger(i am getting aone piecer though becasue im swaping auto to manual) the only other spot is my tranny. im getting a spec stage 3 so clutch isnt gona be an issue either.

ROSS pistons are that much cheaper?? are they as strong as JE's and just more popular so there cheaper or are they just not built as good as JE's?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Jesus Wind
1,205 Posts
i've wondered the same thing with ross and je pistons when it comes to price. i know when you buy any product your also paying for the name. but whats the difference with ross and je pistons? there both forged but beyond that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts