Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was thinkin about gettin a new radiator and i just wanted to chek the pressure in my old on using garden hose. well after i hooked everything up and turned the water on, i had a leak in my rad, a leak in my t stat housing, and the worst one it the heater hose, right behind the head, how the hell do u change that. heres a pic maybe help understand what im talkin about

i can barely touch it with my hand :scratch:

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
let it cool down.. i would suggest taking off the exhasut mani. it makes it a lot easier. its not that hard.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ i really dont feel like taking everyhing off for a dmn hose lol, ill just go crazy with soem pliers, cuzz ill have to take the turbo, dp mani off all over again and i dont feel like it lol

·
90T
460 Posts
If it has the factory spring clips on the hose then you will need the biggest pair of needle nose pliers you can find, preferably with a 45 deg angle. Its the clip behind the head that is the pain, the one near the manifold is easy.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, im gonna let my car cool down for a sec then im gonna go out there and mess with it all day :(

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the thing is i can only see the part thats near the mani, i cant tell or see where it leads off to, any one know or have a diagram so i can have an idea where the other side is at!

thnx

·
Registered
112 Posts
It just goes right above where it comes out near the mani. It's a super short hose with a 90 deg. bend. I replaced mine a couple months ago and I used some long needle nose with a bend like sp3 said.

Just make sure to put the clamps in the middle of the hose before you put it on the car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Borrowed your image, hope you dont mind. It will be behind the valve/cam cover and the inlet will be pointing the same direction as the arrow. I suggest getting the top on first, then getting the one near the mani.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool man, thnx alot for your help, i appreciate that :bigthumb:

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
MADSUPRA88 said:
^^ i really dont feel like taking everyhing off for a dmn hose lol, ill just go crazy with soem pliers, cuzz ill have to take the turbo, dp mani off all over again and i dont feel like it lol

phh, i took my whole damn head off. but i also replaced the HG :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boostedmkiii said:
phh, i took my whole damn head off. but i also replaced the HG :rolleyes:
:scratch:

thats not the point. i dont think toyota would put a coolant hose to where you have to take all the shit off to get to it, like turbo and other shit. it just makes no sense. im pretty sure i can get it now,

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ toyota didnt really think that people would be tearing into their cars. they litterally crammed everything into the engine bay. why the hell did they put the starter in such a shitty location?

anyways, good luck on replacing the hose. make sure when you put the new one on it doesnt kink.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boostedmkiii said:
^ toyota didnt really think that people would be tearing into their cars. they litterally crammed everything into the engine bay. why the hell did they put the starter in such a shitty location?

anyways, good luck on replacing the hose. make sure when you put the new one on it doesnt kink.

ill make sure of that, thnx for your help :D

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Boostedmkiii said:

Starter removal, contact replacement, and reinstall took me around 3 hours (and it was the first time I'd ever done it). Is it different in pre-89 cars?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I didn't think replacing it was very hard at all. In fact it came off much easier then the previous 2 hoses I changed out just before it...

Would you rather have them put the starter on the bottom, where it can get hit by stuff, or on the searing hot exhaust side?

·
90T
460 Posts
You need to arrange a light up against the firewall and shining down from the top of the head.

Just be glad you are not replacing the heater hose on the intake side, its even worse!

MADSUPRA88 said:
the thing is i can only see the part thats near the mani, i cant tell or see where it leads off to, any one know or have a diagram so i can have an idea where the other side is at!

thnx

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thnx for your help guys, ill be tearing into it as soon as the weather gets better. MICHIGAN SUX :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts