Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace that rubber Hose plug nipple thingy by the firewall (kinda at the right rear of the engine block/exhaust manifold). I have to do it NOW! (its leaking) Can i get it anywhere besides toyota?

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, and what size is it?

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Is it the blocked off port on the coolant hard pipe that runs all the way behind the engine from thermostat housing? If so just take it off and go get another cap from Autozone.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tried-the worthless bastards didn't have it

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man, i'll hit them up

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
First of all, not all Supras have this nipple. What year is yours? Only the early models have it.

Second, at the very back center of the head is a coolant hose. Under that, exiting to the exhaust side is another. It should attach to a hard pipe that wraps around the exaust side of the engine, and the nipple should be at the back off that hose, IIRC.

I'd take a photo, but mine is one of the ones without.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This cap on my '87T leaked, actually broke open and made a big mess. I got a new one at Toyota and I remember that it wasn't all that expensive.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nah, I think it was just the way the plumbing was designed. On turbo models, there is no plug and it continues to the turbo coolant lines (correct me if im wrong) but the GE and GTE share simliar designs here. Yes, and that is the thing im talking about. IF you are in doubt about the age of this cap, replace it. I had one go on me up in detroit and all the coolant leaked out and thats when i blew my hg at 187,000 miles.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that i look closer, truenorthsupra says it happened on his turbo, well who knows, maybe its "optional" haha

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
They removed it on later models, so I'm guessing it isn't necessary at all. Perhaps they reused some plumbing from another model car originally, and then designed custom plumbing later in the production run.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
suprafly1986 said:
Nah, I think it was just the way the plumbing was designed. On turbo models, there is no plug and it continues to the turbo coolant lines (correct me if im wrong) but the GE and GTE share simliar designs here.
Nope, turbo models also have that bloody bypass cap. I busted 3 of those cheap Napa bypass caps in 18 months (turbo/downpipe heat are a killer), so when I did the rebuild I just pinched that pipe close, and welded it up to seal. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Could a steam show in the engine be a sign of a busted nipple?

Cause I know i got some leak back there that is the cause of all this blasted smoke.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts