Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 turbo 5 speed and want to replace my transmission oil with Red Line syntheitc. However, I can't see how to drain the old oil in my R154 transmission as there is no drain plug. I tried getting a tube in the filler plug to suck it out but couldn't get the hose in. Help!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response ma71supraturbo. However, I still don't see a drain plug. Perhaps the TSRM picture if for the N/A transmission. On mine the fill plug is at the rear of the transmission where the housing diamater is narrow. There is nothing at the low point of the transmission housing. This can't be that hard because many people have changed their transmission oil. I must be missing something.

·
General Hooligan
208 Posts
have you possibly bottomed extremely hard and sheared the head of the drain bolt off, IIRC it is right where the pic show in the TSRM on my 87 w/R154, and the fill is jammed up between the tunnel and the case, u need the turkey baster thing that looks like a grease gun to fill the tranny

D
0 Posts
Yea, if Im seeing that picture right, mines not there either :dunno:

My car was already up on jack stands so:

Thats from the rear passenger side foward. It aint there.

·
General Hooligan
208 Posts
i think if u move your circle up an inch or so on that pic u might have a winner

·
Registered
14 Posts
yessir that should be it i did mine this morning. make sure you dont get it in your mouth like i did it dont taste or smell to good...

the fill plug is on the other side tucked up near a cross brace. its a pain to get at. just make sure you got a good suction gun to push that junk in there!

D
0 Posts
ma71t said:
i think if u move your circle up an inch or so on that pic u might have a winner
lol. ok, but its still not there.

P.S here’s a scanned copy of that image. Sorry it’s a little crooked; the book is hard to position straight on my scanner.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ma71t and stanzaspeed, I finally found the missing drain plug. The photo really helped because it is not where the TRSM shows it. I can't believe I couldn't see it when I was under the car looking at the transmission. There it was on the side but I was looking for something on the bottom. Oh well, now I have to get the new red line oil in the filler hole.

·
General Hooligan
208 Posts
hahaha yeah its funny how when ur looking for one thing u can totally overlook the blatantly obvious.....ive done it plenty of times... one piece of advise i've recieved and retained "kiss" "keep it simple stoopid"

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
yea.. I have never filled it from the fill hole... use the shifter... WAY WAY easier

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
agreed, just take off the filler plug, and take off the shifter, then yea when it comes out of the filler hole.. stop :)

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
or just put in the reccomended amount and call it a day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts