Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 turbo 5 speed with 80 K miles that has developed a "hot restart" problem. The problem doesn't occur all the time but does it frequently.The car develops a severe "miss" after it has been restarted (after it is at operating temperature) and has been off for about 10 minutes. If the car is not shut off the problem never happens. It runs very rough, like it is firing on only 4 cylinders. I have checked many components but have found nothing. I even used "cold spray" to cool components thinking it was heat related with no luck.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Does anyone have an idea on what could cause this strange problem?

Help!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Digging this one up !!!

I've searched and still no answer. My car has been doing this for the last month or so.

Everytime the car gets warm and then shut off for 10-15 mins it barely runs, takes a while to keep it running. It fires then dies, fires then dies imediately for about 4-5 tries then runs rough as hell for a short while before its back in business.

I know I have a cold start inj. issue, the car always has, takes 3-4 tries to start it after its completely cold, as in it was sitting overnight, then runs and starts like a champ.

Any Help ??? I wouldn't think it's heatsoak b/c this just started.

Edit: Oh Yeah and i have replaced the plugs/wires, radiator, therm, cps, and done a block test. Not getting any codes besides 42, i was getting a 21 but not now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cold Start Injector Time Switch. If it fails, it will keep the cold start injector activated even though the engine is quite warm and running, even heat soaked. It would then run very rough and seem to be running only on a few cylinders. The Toyota Service Manuel describes a test with an ohmeter that will identify if this is the problem. I have experienced this.

·
Resetting
1,666 Posts
I had the same problem when i had my 87. I took off my exhaust manifold and wrapped it with exhaust wrap and it went away. The exhaust is right next to all of your sensors. Try that its inexpensive and it doesnt hurt to take things apart to see if there might be a bigger problem you cant see. Goodluck. J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts