Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
Joined
·
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A picture (or 4) is worth a few thousand words:









Manifold is Greddy, turbo is a T72. Any ideas other than a spacer elbow? Really wished everything would've bolted up. Glad I tried to test fit before I pulled the engine.




Thanks,
Nick
'91T
 

·
Back to boosting!
Joined
·
339 Posts
Go to a tangential housing.... that'll give you another inch or two...
 

·
greasemonkey
Joined
·
3,134 Posts
wow, funny everyone was bashing the ebay manifolds saying how superior in fitment the greddy manifold is yet it has the same issue with large turbo fitment.
 

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
Joined
·
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
williamb82 said:
wow, funny everyone was bashing the ebay manifolds saying how superior in fitment the greddy manifold is yet it has the same issue with large turbo fitment.

My turbo DOES have an on center housing which isn't ideal. I think I'll try the tangential housing suggestion first and see how that works. Remember, the turbo frames change to a big frame around T70 IIRC. This is a pretty damned big turbo, I sort of half expected this.


-Nick
 

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
Joined
·
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
animantoric said:
Go to a tangential housing.... that'll give you another inch or two...
Thanks, an inch or two might just be enough. Good idea! I'll probably try that first before I try to cob up an adapter plate.


-Nick
 

·
wastegate hose is pulled
Joined
·
4,586 Posts
williamb82 said:
wow, funny everyone was bashing the ebay manifolds saying how superior in fitment the greddy manifold is yet it has the same issue with large turbo fitment.
No, the ebay manifold is worse.

Anything bigger than about a 67mm compressor is going to need a spacer on a real Greddy/Trust manifold, depending on cover shape of course.
 

·
greasemonkey
Joined
·
3,134 Posts
blkt72 said:
My turbo DOES have an on center housing which isn't ideal. I think I'll try the tangential housing suggestion first and see how that works. Remember, the turbo frames change to a big frame around T70 IIRC. This is a pretty damned big turbo, I sort of half expected this.


-Nick
wasnt meant as an insult to you, just a general comment. and yes, thats a bigass turbo, but still requires mods to fit. all i was getting at.
 

·
Back to boosting!
Joined
·
339 Posts
Oh, and another possibly helpful tip: Get the v-band version of the tang...way easier to use...
What a/r is your oncenter?
 

·
Impeller Head
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
I've seen a few variations of the greddy manifold. They were sold mostly as part of a kit which came with the turbo. This one is probably for a smaller turbo because the flange is parallel to the engine. The ones for bigger turbos have an angled flange. It looks like a tangential housing will put your turbo closer to the runners, but I could be wrong. A spacer ~1-1.5 inch thick will raise the turbo but will most likely solve your problem. Good Luck!!
 

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
Joined
·
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jt2ma71 said:
I've seen a few variations of the greddy manifold. They were sold mostly as part of a kit which came with the turbo. This one is probably for a smaller turbo because the flange is parallel to the engine. The ones for bigger turbos have an angled flange. It looks like a tangential housing will put your turbo closer to the runners, but I could be wrong. A spacer ~1-1.5 inch thick will raise the turbo but will most likely solve your problem. Good Luck!!
You are almost certainly right. If that [email protected] flange had a little twist toward the motor it'd be even closer. I had to take the compreesor housing off just to get to where I'm at. I'll do a spacer if I need to, prefer not to.

Thanks,
Nick
 

·
Impeller Head
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
blkt72 said:
You are almost certainly right. If that [email protected] flange had a little twist toward the motor it'd be even closer. I had to take the compreesor housing off just to get to where I'm at. I'll do a spacer if I need to, prefer not to.

Thanks,
Nick
NP. I know somebody who had the same issues and is using a spacer, it's really not that bad as far as performance goes. Still manages to make close to 700 hp at the wheels. Just make sure you make it divided too if you decide to go that route. Good Luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
Why not just hammer in the strut tower ? aight peace :chicken:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top