Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to Japan via the air force, and I have my ways of getting a car or two back to the states. I just got a 96' hard top TT for 6,100 and was wondering if it be worth the trouble shipping back. I know the Supra market is pretty large. I am a huge chevy guy, but I know my imports. I also looked at a 1994 NSX, but it was 28,500. I know a few Supra owners in oklahoma and they said a right-hand drive hard top would be crazy in the states. Any advice would be very helpful.

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
I have no idea how you'd legally register it, but assuming you could, it would clearly be worth well more than the $6100 you paid. :)

Steve T.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well lucky for me, the air force has this rule of if you PCS (change bases) and ship a car to your new base, when you PCS again, you can ship a car to your new base.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, you might be able to import the car, but registering it is another thing. I know you have to either, declare its a kit car, or register it as an exotic.

You'll also have to go to the DOT office, and register a VIN #.. I'm not sure if it has to pass emissions, especially where you live, but I think insurance will also be a biz-natch.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Since it's RHD, you will need to go through a lot of hurdles. Up until '99, you could have imported it, but the law changed requiring either crash tests or a letter from the manufacturer stating that it will perform identically to the LHD model in crash tests.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JSpecBoosted said:
Well lucky for me, the air force has this rule of if you PCS (change bases) and ship a car to your new base, when you PCS again, you can ship a car to your new base.
I don't think this applies to the US anymore. And even when it did, I could swear it was only good for 1 year and you couldn't sell the car.

Even if you couldn't bring the whole thing over. I'm sure just the stuff like the drivetrain and interior is worth more than you paid for it anyway.

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
Pics of this bad boy? If not, I'm raising the :bsflag: Sorry, you just registered within the past 2 days and we've have a flush of kids on these boards recently so proof is needed. Sorry.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have pics soon...as I am still waiting for all my house-hold goods to get here.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am stationed at Kadena AFB. Right now I am living on base. They give you 10 days off of work when you first arrive to find a home off base. The on-base housing list is about a year wait. I have 90 days in temp housing to find a place off base.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This reminded me of friends always wanting to import Skylines to the U.S. So I remembered Motorex as the company with the most information and saw something that might interest you:

http://www.motorex.net/faq.html#31

Basically it says that: "The DOT no longer accepts right hand drive cars as being substaincially similar to the US model unless the manufacturer provides information to the DOT stating the vehicles are substancially similar. "

You might be able to find pricing information to register the car, the site mentions for a GT-R between $16,000 - $25,000. Of course the Supra will probably be less I assume, but it gives you an idea of who to contact and whats involved.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JspecBoosted, Yes when you PCS (permanent change station) you ar authorized to TMO a vehicle, but since the Supra doesn't meet US standards you will have to have the car shipped to a registered importer and pay to have all the modifications done. I have heared anywhere $10k - $15k.

You got a good deal on a 96' I paid quite a bit less for my '94 auto (now 6-speed). I'm the first one in Oki (gaijin) to do the six speed swap. I'm always around if you need any help..

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
rewopesroh said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2441591843&category=6447

your answer. i wonder if its a doable deal? if its for real looks to be a bargain.
Some folks really have no clue...
Look at the feedback. None of the seller's previous transactions are recent, and they were the buyer on each one. Looks like a scam to me. Also, the car would have to be converted to LHD to be legal (unless you get documentation from Toyota guaranteeing identical performance to LHD in a crash-good luck), not to mention updated to OBDII if it is '96-up. Then you'd need USDM harness, injectors, maf, etc. Do you see where this is going? I doubt they'll do all that for $2000.
For those that want to argue that the Skyline GT-Rs are RHD, that is because they only legalized the RHD models. Ironically enough, an LHD Skyline is, technically, illegal because no LHD Skyline was ever crash tested.
$25k for a car that will probably never be legal is not a bargain, unless you love to give money away to scam artists. This shit is getting old. Everyone is talks about how they'll do it and that naysayers will be proven wrong, blah, blah, blah :rolleyes: The same shit was on the Nissan Skyline GT-R boards and not a single person came forward with any proof. And even if they could, they stood a chance to be prosecuted, because the vehicle would be illegal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts