Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
FUCK JDM
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really dont hear much about them, and was wondering how a T76 compares in terms of power/spool as compared to say a PTE-76GTS

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
hardcharger said:
turbonetics are awesome turbos and you can't beat the warranty
Im not trying to start shit. but I have had bad luck with them on two occasions.
Failed ballancing on one where it took out the compressor wheel within a day and another where they forgot to put in a carbon seal and it smoked like a bitch.
Both were replaced under warranty though.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
I'm running a small 60-1 on a turbonetics cast manifold. I've been nothing but happy with my setup. Okay, that's not entirely true....I would like a larger turbo. But that wasn't their fault <grin>.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,487 Posts
I've heard many cases where these turbos fail. I also am not sure how they outspool anything considering they are only ball bearing instead of dual ball bearing.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I have had 2 of them in the past back to back go out from out of ballance from what I could tell. 3rd time was a charm. The one year warranty was awsome considering it took about 1 month for fix and send out the new turbo.

Lawrence

·
High Performance WorkShop
300 Posts
all i've seen from turbonetics is bad luck ! seals and wheel balance on boost ! bad turbos , bad quality . garett all the way !

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I too have seen two turbonetics fail that were both less than 3kmi old. I don't think I'd run one but some have had goodluck with them.

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
I was a Turbonetics dealer for many years before switching over to PTE. I had nothing but reliability problems with Turbonetics. Hopefully they are better now although it doesnt sound like it from what I hear.

·
Turbocharger Engineer
751 Posts
We are distributors for every major company of turbo makers as well as our own. T-netics failure rate for every 100 turbos is no worse then any other make. Right now the average is 5 units for every 100. That is on par with all the other makes except the DBB garretts which we see a slightly higher rate. BTW, The MP turbos we saw a failure rate 10 times higher.....not good.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,487 Posts
I don't know about the MP turbos, but I hear about 4 out of every 5 people who have had a Turbonetics turbo had at least one fail. I seriously doubt that their failure rate is "on par." I personally think it is much higher.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
JZ 97 SS 1500 said:
We are distributors for every major company of turbo makers as well as our own. T-netics failure rate for every 100 turbos is no worse then any other make. Right now the average is 5 units for every 100. That is on par with all the other makes except the DBB garretts which we see a slightly higher rate. BTW, The MP turbos we saw a failure rate 10 times higher.....not good.

Interesting info. I have sold MANY Garrett DBB turbos and have not had any failures yet!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
you will always find problems with every turbo company out there. T-netics makes good stuff that makes power no doubt. I had a T66 and it was just fine and no probs. ITS makes great stuff, I love their dbb chra and how it spools, some say they leak, never had a prob with mine (3 of them). PTE im not a fan of really since im hearing of all these PTE71 failures, plus my own experience with my pte turbo. The garrett dbb downfall is that it's not rebuildable.

·
Turbocharger Engineer
751 Posts
Sound Performance said:
Interesting info. I have sold MANY Garrett DBB turbos and have not had any failures yet!

Stick them on a diesel and you will ;). 40% of what we do now is diesel as well. GT's don't survive. Get on any diesel forum and see what the choice of turbos they use to upgrade to and its not Garrett.

·
Turbocharger Engineer
751 Posts
Spoolin Turbo said:
you will always find problems with every turbo company out there. T-netics makes good stuff that makes power no doubt. I had a T66 and it was just fine and no probs. ITS makes great stuff, I love their dbb chra and how it spools, some say they leak, never had a prob with mine (3 of them). PTE im not a fan of really since im hearing of all these PTE71 failures, plus my own experience with my pte turbo. The garrett dbb downfall is that it's not rebuildable.
Correct it all depends on who you want to listen to. Since we sell every major brand, we have a good insight on what works and doesn't work, as well as how it stacks up against other manufactures.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Spoolin Turbo said:

I have had nothing but problems with ITS and Turbonetics.

I agree that PTE had issues with the 71s, but those are sorted out now.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had a turbonetics turbo on my civic si before I bought my supra... it was ok... im definatly a fan of GT series turbos from Garrett

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
JZ 97 SS 1500 said:
Correct it all depends on who you want to listen to. Since we sell every major brand, we have a good insight on what works and doesn't work, as well as how it stacks up against other manufactures.
I agree with JZ 97 SS 1500, ive spoke to him a few times and asked opinions and since he actually BUILDS and also deals with these turbos I trust his word, since he sees them day in and out.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts