Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 93' Supra and while trying to do the first oil change, it makes me wanna sell the car.

I saw guys on the forum and youtube say that removing the battery will give u a direct access to the oil filter. While thats true, it is impossible to apply any leverage with your hands to the filter, let alone use a tool to remove it.

My second thought is to remove the ABS pump, but after getting a good feel of how tight it is through the battery, I doubt I'll be able to take it off by hand. Just by looking at it I don't think I can squeeze any tool through where the pump sits either.

Can any Supra Saints on this forum help me out. Tell me how you guys have done your oil changes, I'll greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
With the TRAC pump still in place, you'll have to reach up from underneath. Basically, crawl under behind the driver's wheel and reach up. It's not horrible, but you will drip a little oil on the motor mount.

Who the hell said remove the battery? That's nowhere near the filter. Most oil filters are accessed from underneath.

Al

·
In The Sonoran Desert
490 Posts
one very speciic position let me get my right arm up to the oil filter. PHR oil filter relocation kit and oil cooler later, it it a piece of cake

·
Registered
529 Posts
I bought a 93' Supra and while trying to do the first oil change, it makes me wanna sell the car.
Oil changes are impossible, PM me with details on the impending sale. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,393 Posts
Get a filter wrench socket that fits the filter. There's the claw-type that will ratchet down in lefty-loosey only and there's a full 'socket type' that is sized for a very specific filter and works only on that size, but it works both ways. Either style will work.
From under the car on the driver's side (LHD) you can use that socket with two extensions and a wobble in the middle and you're golden. Much easier than trying to torque it off by hand.
Buy some cheap sandwich bags and put that over the filter before you crack it loose, leaving the top area of the bag fully open like a funnel around the seal area of the filter. Put the filter socket onto the filter over the bag so it holds that bag in place.
The bag will catch the oil and prevent it from making a mess in a nice clean engine bay.

It's a game of angles and technique, it's really not that bad.

Reactions: erin

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,958 Posts
Step 1: remove trac pump, permanently, along with the rest of the stock traction control system.
Step 2: sell stock Trac Off button...make bank$.
Step 3: install alternative traction control technology (I have a RaceLogic unit, but the modern standalone ECUs can do it too).
Step 4: enjoy easy oil filter changes from above, permanently. Like Wreckless said, use the ziplock back trick for a no-mess experience.

Oh, did you mean without spending $1000 or more? I....can't help you there.

·
Boost Junkie
12,761 Posts
Go up from the bottom. Total pain in the butt and it will make a mess, but it is what it is.

STeve

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve been changing the oil with the battery removal method the past couple oil changes. Before that I would crawl under the Supra and get my hand showered with oil from removing the filter. Now I never have to jack up the car when changing the oil. Takes time but less mess and a few drips of oil sometimes. I use a strap wrench and zip lock bag for the filter.

·
Registered
219 Posts
PHR oil filter relocation, though you might notice a slight drop in oil pressure.
Otherwise remove TC unit, apply hand chalk, grip that mofo from the top like it owes you money.
Ziploc bag is a good idea, i'll try that too.

·
Registered
921 Posts
everytime I perform an oil change, I tell myself i shoulda purchased the relocation kit.
over time i have definitely covered the motor mount ect with dirty oil. the Samich bag pro-tip is a good one.
making bank by selling buttons, priceless.

·
Registered
74 Posts
With my first one which someone decided to apply probably 125 ft/lb of torque to it when tightening, I jammed a long flathead screwdriver into it with a hammer and loosened it that way. Then I just reached in with my hand and got it off using the ZipLock bag method.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Get a filter wrench socket that fits the filter. There's the claw-type that will ratchet down in lefty-loosey only and there's a full 'socket type' that is sized for a very specific filter and works only on that size, but it works both ways. Either style will work.
From under the car on the driver's side (LHD) you can use that socket with two extensions and a wobble in the middle and you're golden. Much easier than trying to torque it off by hand.
Buy some cheap sandwich bags and put that over the filter before you crack it loose, leaving the top area of the bag fully open like a funnel around the seal area of the filter. Put the filter socket onto the filter over the bag so it holds that bag in place.
The bag will catch the oil and prevent it from making a mess in a nice clean engine bay.

It's a game of angles and technique, it's really not that bad.
Off-topic: I have recently mis-placed my favorite vintage craftsman oil filter wrench - the spinning claw type - I can't find it and I'm very upset about it.
on a non-turbo MKIV I can just reach down from the top and spin the filter off, it isn't hard to change from above

·
In The Sonoran Desert
490 Posts
With my first one which someone decided to apply probably 125 ft/lb of torque to it when tightening, I jammed a long flathead screwdriver into it with a hammer and loosened it that way. Then I just reached in with my hand and got it off using the ZipLock bag method.
OMG I had to do that too, once. Actually started tearing sides of filter and I thought well, now I did it

·
Super Moderator
11,393 Posts
Off-topic: I have recently mis-placed my favorite vintage craftsman oil filter wrench - the spinning claw type - I can't find it and I'm very upset about it.
on a non-turbo MKIV I can just reach down from the top and spin the filter off, it isn't hard to change from above
Dude, losing tools is the WORST. I uprooted and moved into a new house last August, and that exact problem is happening every day I'm in my shop.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I used to do the battery removal method before removing the trac-pump, Seemed easier than under car for me.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I must have little girl hands cuz i have zero issues accessing the filter from the top with a regular oil filter wrench. One recommendation i have for you, use a plastic bag like a grocery bag and wrap it around the filter as you loosen it to catch as much oil as possible and mitigate oil messes.

·
From the land down under
4,681 Posts
I only did 3 or 4 oil changes in mine before buying an oil filter relocation kit, and oil filter.

Never again shall I struggle

·
Registered
Rejoined
137 Posts
Before I was fortunate enough to have a 4 post lift in the garage, I used to take the driver's side front wheel off and then get the filter. I like the zip-lock bag trick; that'll save a lot of shop rags/towels!

·
Registered
10 Posts
For people who went the filter relocation route, which kit did you get and what location did you mount it? I've considered doing the same and have heard bolting down low next to the oil pan was a good spot?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just bite the bullet ans take the car to your favorite shop and have him do the oil change and filter, i did change my oil filter and for years and suffered like so many . Even thought oil relocation kit, but with oil changes very 3 months or less it not make sense money wise. It is easier to have some else do this horrible oil change.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts