Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
word...i got new seals from the local yota for 100 and i doubt its gonna leak for another 10 years ;)

the targa always gets the bitches too...sux for u hardtopers :cool:

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
NegativeGeForce said:

the targa always gets the bitches too...sux for u hardtopers :cool:
that wont work for them...their Richard Simmon wanna-be asses will pull out the "weight savings" card.

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Maybe thats my prob too, I tightenit from the front 1st. It leaks in the same spot too, around the top of the doors. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip. :D

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
Mine doesn't leak. The only time it drips is after I wash it or it rains then I take the top off. Other than that. No leaks.

You guys still have the ratcheting allen wrench too and the bolt covers? :D

·
Make My Day
459 Posts
I tried vasaline that shit stoped the damn leak. I couldnt believe it even in the summer.I didnt take it off after though . Its spring again???

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
LuMpY said:

Mine even came with the cool toyota yellow bags! Do you use the bolt covers? I haven't ever had a desire to use them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my targa doesnt leak at all. only when i go through the car wash it sprays through at the sides so i always have to go through with a towel or i get soaked, lol

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
LuMpY said:
Mine doesn't leak. The only time it drips is after I wash it or it rains then I take the top off. Other than that. No leaks.

No leaks here, which is suprising with the shape the seals are in.
Unfortunately, my wrench & covers are nowhere to be found; I went & got a power screwdriver & an adapter to fit the 6mm allen key. Now the top comes off if anytime the temps get above ~55-60, and isn't raining :D

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
psifactor said:
Mine even came with the cool toyota yellow bags! Do you use the bolt covers? I haven't ever had a desire to use them.
If it's a real nice day and I wash/wax the car then I do. Not every time the top's off though. I love having the top off. :D

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
mine doesnt leak at all...until i open the door after it has rained or something... and then when i close it and go somewhere i get a small drip right where the front driver side targa meets the roof.... who knows lol...

i always bolt mine down drivers front, drivers rear, passenger front, passenger rear...

just habit...and dont have any problems other then my slight drip like mentioned above... :dunno:

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Don't you guys have the sticker in the car explaining which way to bolt it down? I have it on the driver's side sun visor.

I have the tool, but the car didn't come with the bag or covers... :(

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
I've got the fancy yellow bag and i think i even scraped the paint off of the targa tool from taking it on and off, i guess the last owners didn't take it off much. I even have the bolt covers too, oh and the sticker.

Yeah for those who don't know (it's logical if you think about it)

to take it off:
1) unbolt the front in any order
2) unbolt the back in any order

I'm assuming you all put it in starting from the rear... so that's how you bolt it up.

To take it off:
1) Bolt the rear in any order (to pull the targa back and in place)
2) Bolt the front in any order (to pull it down)

What worked for me was a GM product called "scillicone Immulshion" It's $5 and it's very thin and you load it on the top and seal and stick the targa on and once it dries it's clear but not hard and then you have no more leaks.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
heh yep i have the sticker there and i know the way its SUPPOSED to go...BUT....its easier to me to do it my way ;)

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
What he said

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
90% of all the Targa leas come from the side seals. The side seals attach onto the drip rails, the drip rails bolt onto the top. Water comes down off the top and leaks behind the drip rails between the top and fill up the side interior trim pieces. When you brake or turn , these trim pieces empty out at the front (lowest points) and onto your lap and window switches. Everyone thinks the front corners leak, not true, it's the drip rails.

I bought new seals and attached them like original and they leaked like a MoFo. I then did alot of research and finally figured out the problem. The drip rails need to be siliconed real good on the back sides where they bolt to the top, then install the seals, they slide into the rail and I used a spoon handle to press them into place, then only siliconed the ends where they wrap around the ends of the top. No more leaks period.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the leaking drip rails problem. My car only leaks AFTER it has rained and only when I am braking, at which point it dumps onto my lap. :(

Can someone post a picture of the drip rails and where they bolt so I know what I'm looking for?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts