Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, So, had an accident recently, a deer fell on my car.....ill be posting the story with pics later on, how-ever I want it fixed WITHOUT them using bondo....Is this possible?

Dent in the rear quarter panel, im pretty sure its just one huge section, they can pull out the dent im sure, but then they'll have to refinish it and bondo to smooth it out......i dont want bondo, is there anyway they can order a section from toyota and replace it? etc....

·
Is it stick? Is it turbo?
729 Posts
Sure you can probably order a new panel to replace it, but it will probably cost an arm and a leg. There's a thread in here somewhere about using another material other than bondo that is much stronger and sturdier. Sorry to hear about your car and the deer accident. Best wishes!

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
If you just had a deer fall on your rear 1/4 panel i dont think bondo should be your biggest worry. Without looking at a picture i'm guessing that your gonna have to have a new 1/4 panel rewelded on to the body of the car. I had a hit and run on my rear 1/4 and i took it to 2 places and both said that their gonna need to put a new 1/4 because it would be too much work, effort and bondo to make it look as good as new again. So if your in the same situation as i am your looking at something thats gonna cost more then a few hundred bucks to pull out and bondo up. But thats just my 2 cents for you.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
nothing wrong with a little skim coat, if they know what they are doing, and actually use right tools for the job,personally i like to use paintless dent removal tools ant attempt to massage the damage out before i break out a grinder and stud welding gun
nevertheless, even if you replace the 1/4 panel, you will still need to use a filler on c-pillar where it attches to the roof panel,you can use stuff called metall fill, dont remember who makes it, but it's avaliable, or only some of the old school sheetmetal gys use lead,but you also have to know what you're doing

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
To4r-Supra said:
Alright, So, had an accident recently, a deer fell on my car.....ill be posting the story with pics later on, how-ever I want it fixed WITHOUT them using bondo....Is this possible?

Dent in the rear quarter panel, im pretty sure its just one huge section, they can pull out the dent im sure, but then they'll have to refinish it and bondo to smooth it out......i dont want bondo, is there anyway they can order a section from toyota and replace it? etc....

How bad is bondo?

Most all brand name bondos have very good adhesion, especially when the paint and/or metal is sanded or grinded well.

The only "bad" part about bondo is the technique of the guy spreading it. No, you dont want 2in thick spreads of bondo on the car, or any bondo that's slapped on top of still-shiny paint etc.
But skim wipes are great for fine-tuning the workmanship underneath. And will be used anyway with a new quarter as mentioned already.

Probably the biggest reason for bonod having a "bad reputation" is because it's porus (sp?), and so primer and paint soaks into the texture of the bondo as they dry/cure, leaving visible signs of bodywork.
There are ways to minimize this effect, but that's in the hands of the guy spreading the bodywork.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea the dents arnt "that" bad, its just below the curve line of the drivers side rear, about the size of 2 fists, bent in the wheel well a bit also. No actual paint damage except where it cracked it.

My main concern is my mkiv is/was mint, before the deer, now im worried if i get bondo on it etc....without replacing the panel, itl be worth less. I dunno maybe im way to anal about stuff, i just dont want problems down the road .

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Find a good body shop ,I'm sure they can handle simple task like that,most reputable shops guarantee their work for as long as you own the car,lol, even the ones that do half-ass work for insurace companies, have lifetime guarantee on their repair

·
Banned
888 Posts
right, how would a deer fall onto a car?

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Bondo has such a bad rep because of its great misuse unfortunately. My body shop owner told me a great story bout bondo. He was in NYC and there were 2 guys mixing bondo on the floor on a piece of cardboard, he said it was a rather large size pile. Next to them was a yellow taxi cab with bad rear quarter damage. He said they mixed it up and instead of applying some, they picked up the board and slapped the whole pile onto the damage, lol. He said he died laughing and I can just picture this going down.
Cliff notes: Bondo when applied thin is no prob, when used to fill damaged areas and is thick, it cracks over time from chasis flex and the sun. Good luck :)

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
LOL, one thing though, there is $30+ high quality plastic filler ,that has alot of testing and research and old $9/gal cheap crap,I recommend Rage Gold,have been using it for well over 8 years, eversince USC came out with it,never had a problem ,like cracking, bubbling, shrinking,e.t.c and on some riced out bondo queens civics it was well over 2 inches thick :nutkickhi ,and till this day no problems,lol, I know, don't flame me on that one, when you try to redesign Feels widebody made for civics and ricer is on a budget,but still that green turd was featured in quite a few magazines ,and won alot of shows

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i talked to toyota, the drivers side rear quarter panel, is going for 960.00 CDN......Not too bad. How-ever im thinking after its all done with paint im probably looking at around 1500 to do it all....just a "guesstimation"

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yea, and "how did i deer fall on your car"?

I'll explain....its gonna be posted in the mainforum soon enough, but ill give you guys cliff notes without pictures...lol Consider yourselves the first on supraforums to hear of this insanity....

Driving down main street.....Dodge viper, older one 1994 RT10 rips past me, finally someone worth having a go with, so i scoot up behind him....we hit a red light, stop, light goes green, im behind him.....Proceed through the intersection, while im waiting for the cars in my left lane to dissapear so i can get beside him and make things interesting...about 10 seconds out of the intersection, say....50-60km/h....BAM the fucking Viper smoked a full sized female deer, it literally shot straight the fuck up in the air, I look up since my roofs off, go "FUCK OFF!" and duck with my buddy in shotgun...

HALF of the deer lands in the supra, yes thats right, HALF of it, head/neck, smacks me in the back, the other half smacks the drivers side rear, and dents the quarter panel. I guess it snapped its neck from my targa and my rear corner was probably the finishing blow. Its body pulled the rest out of the car and it slid onto the median. So i got drool and fur everywhere in my car, No blood or guts though thank god, since i just conditioned the leather.

I got pics coming since a witness had a digital camera....

Moral of the story, deers do fly. That thing fucking defied the laws of physics, and im not kidding, it FLEW!

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
To4r-Supra said:
well i talked to toyota, the drivers side rear quarter panel, is going for 960.00 CDN......Not too bad. How-ever im thinking after its all done with paint im probably looking at around 1500 to do it all....just a "guesstimation"

you are looking over $2k to have a 1/4 panel replaced properly,I belive the estimating software says 18 hours to replace ,not including materials and labor for refinishing

:rofl: at your story, you lucky that shit didnt break your neck!

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Damn, that is some deer! I gotta see pics of your car and the viper and ofcourse the deer!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all of its legs were totally done, when it hit, u saw bone just spray everywhere lol

I had a bruise on my back, the size of its nose, or someshit.....it either hoofed me or tried a headbutt move.

and yea, im very lucky, if i didnt duck in time, it could have been alot worse...

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
exvelocity said:
I recommend Rage Gold,have been using it for well over 8 years, eversince USC came out with it,never had a problem ,like cracking, bubbling, shrinking,e.t.c and on some riced out bondo queens civics it was well over 2 inches thick :nutkickhi ,and till this day no problems,lol,

I know, don't flame me on that one, when you try to redesign Feels widebody made for civics and ricer is on a budget,but still that green turd was featured in quite a few magazines ,and won alot of shows

Yeah, I've always like Rage too.

Off topic:
Funny you mention a rice vehicle like that, lol. I once witnessed one myself :D I was selling some amps to this guy and when I spoke to him about meeting up, he said: "look for me in xxx car.....it's tha BADDEST CIVIC ya ever seen in ya life!!!"
I was laughing just based on his enthusiasm over the phone about what he was driving, LOL.
So I was thinking "okay"....."I guess he's got himself a bad little ride". I meet up with him and this Civic hatch was straight H-A-C-K-E-D together with pieces and parts of God knows WHAT, and it literally looked like he crashed sideways into a bondo warehouse....and still needing paint (and MUCHO bodywork), and the interior looked like it was stripped and stolen, LOL. It was honestly THE WORST moving vehicle on the street that I've ever seen! I couldn't stop looking at the Frankenstein-like bondo/kit attatchments everywhere! :crazy: :run: :rofl:
Yes, these cars exist, haha.

Meanwhile, I feel horrible for that poor deer! :(

·
Never fast enough
715 Posts
They make a product called dura-glass, it mix like bond but it is fiberglass. its a lot stronger and waterproof, bondo will swell when it gets wet

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmmmm but technically bondo is under the paint and clear coat.....so wouldnt that mean its doesnt get wet?

Shit im so noob at bodywork shit, i really gotta take a course in my spare time lol

·
Never fast enough
715 Posts
its under all the paint but if you were to get a scratch or something in that spot were bondo was layed down it could start to pop up. I went to school for a year for automotive paint and body work after i got out of high school and we never used bondo. The dura glass is also flexible and wont crack as easy as bondo. Dura glass is just better to use then bondo, i would recomend it to everyone who does body work, IMO.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts