Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've got a friend, and I won't mention any names... that has been driving on a bad wheel bearing on his MKIV single T for already 2 to 3 weeks. When he torqued the big 32mm nut on the axle after having new wheel bearings pressed in he didn't torque it to the 230ft/lbs that the manual calls for. After hearing some noise he wiggled the tire and it wiggled enough to feel it. He took off the tire and torqued it down.

Now his wheel bearing is terrible, makes a horrible grinding noise @ about 5mph when the car is lifted off the ground. It sounds as if the brake caliper was rubbing on the top of the brake disc.

This guy is being a ghetto-ass and keeps driving the car and racing other cars on it. Realistically speaking, how bad is what he's doing and what are the risks? I've already informed him, but he doesn't seem to care. What do you guys think?

·
Supraless By Choice
1,430 Posts
:hahano: Hmmmmmm, 'm going out on a limb here, but i'm going to guess that it's a definite :nono: ... Tony, i can't believe ***** hasn't fixed it yet, i'm sure that if something does happen, there is going to be alot of disappointed people on here... :crying: I mean, what are they going to do without their weekly posting of his car? :attention :dunno:
Wow, i hope that he stops driving it and get's it fixed for his and his cars sake... :fro:

Dan

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
heh hes going to ned a new hub but he would have needed a new one anyways...it takes a really long time for it to go bad to the point where anything dangerous could happen...i drove on a bad wheel bearing for 6 months...not the supra but another car.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove on a bad wheel bearing for 2 months on my 1st car in high school.. I didn't know what it was and I remember calling my parents from the orthodontist saying I had a weird grinding noise when I was on the highway. They told me to just be careful and that we'd check it out the next day. Well the car didn't make it home. 2 blocks down from my house I went to stop at a stop sign and I had no brakes. I tried the emergency brake but that was gone too so I downshifted to 2nd and then 1st and did a circle in the intersection (residential street) to slow down.. At the end of my circle my right rear wheel just fell off. I had apparently exploded a ball bearing and it had taken out the rest of them which chewed through the axle. :doh:

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
SupraTico said:

This guy is being a ghetto-ass and keeps driving the car and racing other cars on it. Realistically speaking, how bad is what he's doing and what are the risks? I've already informed him, but he doesn't seem to care. What do you guys think?
First off, don't ride with, or even drive near this "friend".
What he is doing is very bad for the car and could endanger a passenger or someone else that happens to be in the wrong place.
I think your "friend" does not deserve a nice car. :rant:

·
In The Sonoran Desert
447 Posts
I had this problem for about a year (~1000miles). The noise was aweful, esp in reverse when I would back it into the storage garage I was renting back then.

The bearings were replaced at about $1000. I had to swallow the full marked up cost of the parts because they wouldn't work with Curt. Anyways....

The point is the ABS sensors on the rear were being damaged by the wobbly wheels. They never broke but it was relatively close. Those fu**ers are apparently expensive too.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
As the bearing wears more and more and the "wobble" in the wheel gets to be more, the car can suddenly go into a snap oversteer from the wheel moving slightly from a wave or bump in the road or even just movement of the front wheels ...this can easily lead to total loss of control, spin out, crash, or worse.

S

·
0 Posts
parts and labor from my toyota dealer cost me $588 for them to fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts