Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has an oil leak and it's stting at the moment. I just topped the oil up to near the full mark on the dipstick or a bit more than that. I would rather have it full and sitting than dry and sitting. I usually start it once every few weeks.

My question is, if the oil is higher than full on the dipstick how bad is it for the engine? Can i start the car and pisition it on jackslike this or should i drainthe excess out first.

Man synthetic oil is hard to read!

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
I don't want this to turn into an oil war so I won't talk about synthetic.

It's not bad to put in a little bit too much, dr jones actually mentioned in the rod knock avoidance thread about how you could go ahead and add an extra quart just to be safe :p

I normally make mine so it's a little bit over full. I burn/leak a tiny bit of oil, and about 5-6 days ago I was a slight bit under F, but I put in about half a quart. Checked my oil today, and I'm at BARELY over F. A little bit extra oil is a hell of a lot better than a little bit too less.

H

·
0 Posts
F'in A people...too much oil in the engine is just as bad as too little oil. If your car is burning oil, you need to fix it. An engine that burns oil is not good. Don't ghetto rig your car with more oil so that when it burns oil, your back to the regular amount. That's not how it's suppose to work. DON'T PUT MORE THAN WHAT IS NECESSARY!

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
my first post!

if you put too much oil it will make your car run more slugish, and you will loose fuel econ.

for daily driving you should leave it in the middle or close to low (not on low), and if you wanna race on a track close to F depanding on how fast your car is, if its stock just leave it somewhere in the middle for everything

P.S. good oil will make a diff in a Supra, HP and econ wise as well as any other car

·
ODS
847 Posts
Why would you want it close to low, every quart of oil is meant to be somewhere at a specific time when that engine is running... When you run the engine almost a quart low on oil, the motor is missing that much oil somewhere in that motor... Take a sharp turn and gun it, most of the oil moves to one side of the pan... Not a great thing for your crank or your bearings...

The least amount of oil you have the hotter the oil will be...

I am not saying to run a quart extra, but staying right at full is always the best bet... If the engine was designed to work at full potential with 3.5 quarts of oil, the factory would specify to use 3.5 quarts of oil... If you are going to run half a quart less oil then your suppose to just to save a couple bux in gas, I would advise letting off of the gas pedal a little bit instead... If you can really tell the physical difference between a car running 1/2 a quart less oil then a car running the correct amount, your ass needs to be rented out because you have one hell of a butt-dyno...

If you are really picky about the amount of drag on the crank due to oil, get a crank scraper or a good windage tray... Dont go the cheap route and put less oil in the pan...

Running less then the full amount of oil during a race does not make sence at all... If it did, moroso would not make oil pans that hold MORE oil then stock WITH baffles and chambers...

Running less oil will also allow the amount of oil to be contaminated quicker, which will loose its lubricating and cleaning efficiency... Once again, not a great idea...

SMo'

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
SMoLiK said:
Why would you want it close to low, every quart of oil is meant to be somewhere at a specific time when that engine is running... When you run the engine almost a quart low on oil, the motor is missing that much oil somewhere in that motor... Take a sharp turn and gun it, most of the oil moves to one side of the pan... Not a great thing for your crank or your bearings...

The least amount of oil you have the hotter the oil will be...

I am not saying to run a quart extra, but staying right at full is always the best bet... If the engine was designed to work at full potential with 3.5 quarts of oil, the factory would specify to use 3.5 quarts of oil... If you are going to run half a quart less oil then your suppose to just to save a couple bux in gas, I would advise letting off of the gas pedal a little bit instead... If you can really tell the physical difference between a car running 1/2 a quart less oil then a car running the correct amount, your ass needs to be rented out because you have one hell of a butt-dyno...

If you are really picky about the amount of drag on the crank due to oil, get a crank scraper or a good windage tray... Dont go the cheap route and put less oil in the pan...

Running less then the full amount of oil during a race does not make sence at all... If it did, moroso would not make oil pans that hold MORE oil then stock WITH baffles and chambers...

Running less oil will also allow the amount of oil to be contaminated quicker, which will loose its lubricating and cleaning efficiency... Once again, not a great idea...

SMo'
:agreed:

·
Registered
358 Posts
NeatOman said:
my first post!

if you put too much oil it will make your car run more slugish, and you will loose fuel econ.

for daily driving you should leave it in the middle or close to low (not on low), and if you wanna race on a track close to F depanding on how fast your car is, if its stock just leave it somewhere in the middle for everything

P.S. good oil will make a diff in a Supra, HP and econ wise as well as any other car
man as already said what are you smoking? As to the question asked, running a little more then full is not going to hurt the engine.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
PUT THE CRACK PIPE DOWN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
within 100 posts from you I am sure one will be," What is this knocking noise I here when I rev my motor to about 2000 rpm"

·
Registered
358 Posts
cnewingham said:
PUT THE CRACK PIPE DOWN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
within 100 posts from you I am sure one will be," What is this knocking noise I here when I rev my motor to about 2000 rpm"
lol I dont think it will take that long, I just hope no one listens to him.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
I run with 5qts. on each change. Mobile1 10w-30. Manual says 4.7 so about 10 ounces overfill. I would probably do a bit more if I was going on a road course.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
i put as much in my car as my dipstick tells me.

F=full=done with puttng in oil

thought this was obvious by now.... :dunno:

·
Banned
400 Posts
Johnny Dangerously said:
i put as much in my car as my dipstick tells me.

F=full=done with puttng in oil

thought this was obvious by now.... :dunno:

:werd:

J

·
0 Posts
don't beat me too hard...bcuz i know this is a dumbass question...but i looked for like...15 mins one day...and i just cant find my fuggin dipstick O_O....maybe i am blind? wouldn't doubt it...i DO have 20/60 vision...so i really can't see worth shit...anyone wana tell me where it is ^_^

thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
don't beat me too hard...bcuz i know this is a dumbass question...but i looked for like...15 mins one day...and i just cant find my fuggin dipstick O_O....maybe i am blind? wouldn't doubt it...i DO have 20/60 vision...so i really can't see worth shit...anyone wana tell me where it is ^_^
Wow,

Got to give you props for having the guts to post that.

The dipstick is on the passenger side and is mounted to the Turbo. maybe someone will post a pic for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
nice bay! very clean, yet not too flashy. If your car is synthetic maybe you should just get some regular oil. If you are not driving it and its just sitting there get a little heavier oil, maybe that will slow your leak down until you can fix it. I wouldnt add more than the 1/2 quart or so these guys said to. When my supra was leaking bad I kept oil in the car lol. You can actually keep several quarts under the hood if you are a lazy ass like me. Stick one next to the brake booster, one next to the battery, etc. lol I have a cost/work ratio that makes fixing it worth it or not. I can buy alot of oil for the amount of work needed. Fuck it Ill add the oil every trip if I have to. Pop the hood at the movies and add a quart for the trip home. Lmfao

1 - 20 of 60 Posts