Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on a massive APU upgrade in going single in the next year / two years. There are a vast number of items I am including in the conversion that just about everyone has undergone. These include clutch, new lsd, water pump, etc etc etc.

My question is not the 'what kit should I go for', I've already made the decisions on many of the parts I want to look for. I am not planning on doing the work myself, rather dropping the car off and being without it for a period of time while everything is put on. I don't have any MKIV buds that would allow me to frankenstein something together (buddy selling an IC, another selling his fuel system, etc).

My questions are: for those that have done things in one big swoop, and not doing the work yourself, how big was your budget? How much is 'too much' in amount invested?

Thanks all, hope that everyone in my area (northern VA) is out enjoying the weather today!

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
SuperNova: I think Braddman has a really good spreadsheet up with typical costs for all the single upgrade options in the FAQ section that might be helpful. My budget was about 10K initially (BL 61 kit, fuel, AEM, etc). It simply ballooned out of control from there and I don't want to know how much it cost anymore. My advice, send it to one of the big Supra guys. Pay the money to ship it and have it done right by the right people. Good luck.

On Edit: Here is the link to that Single Upgrade Budget Analysis:

supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349254

Also, damn straight the weather was nice here today. Sadly, the MKIV sits in the shop. Keep killing me Mother Nature.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
$1500

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
I would sell your stock/BPU car and purchase a APU car that you really like, obviously from a reputable member and save yourself a ton of cash!

·
a supra..fast..hahaha
266 Posts
i just bought what i needed to get it done and it ended up costin me a crap load , but i also had the na-> tt swap done as well with my single and built auto and full fuel upgrade.. it was more than i wanted to spend, but it's done... and i love it..

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
A good friend of mine just went through with this, having gotten good deals from the turbo kit manufacturer and the installer. The kit (including everything....turbo, manifold, wastegate, dp/mp, etc....all fittings and hoses...blah, blah) EMS, fuel system, labor and tuning was a bit over $16,000, IIRC. This did not include a built motor or anything of the sort. With a built motor, it can easily cost the price of another MKIV. That's why there should be at least two more MKIVs in my garage in addition to the one I already have. Hope this helps.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
My strong recommendation is to spend the money and do it right the first time. The guys who skimp invariably wind up spending more as they fix things that break (including blown motors) and spend extra in doing right the second (or third) time.

Ken.

·
889 Posts
Ken Henderson: And how. I blew my motor in the first phase of going single. Since then I decided to upgrade my build and downgrade my bank account. Built Titan Shortblock: $8,000; Built Obiwan Head: $4,000; Total Engine Rebuild: somewhere around $5,000; Miscellaneous replacing parts (oil pump, water pump, motor mounts, pulleys, etc): no idea, but at least $3,000. So be wise and build smart the first time. More money upfront, but smarter in the long run.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Starting with my stock twin setup, I had a reputable shop do the following:
BL Turbo kit (57 trim)
Greddy 3-row FMIC
Greddy Emanage
Greddy Emanage harness
Greddy Emanage sensor
Greddy Emanage sensor harness
Greddy RS BOV
Greddy S Recirc
Greddy BOV flange
Dyno tuning
tranny cooler
weld EGT bung, BOV flg & pipe
PS cooler

parts + labor = $7250 + tax

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
parts and labor you'll be at 7 to 10 grand easy just depends how wild you want to get.
always save atleast 10% of your budget for contingiencies like parts you dicover need to be replaced while your there....like when youre doing a clutch, you may want to go ahead and do a rear main etc...

good luck

·
600 Posts
fuindustries said:
Ken Henderson: And how. I blew my motor in the first phase of going single. Since then I decided to upgrade my build and downgrade my bank account. Built Titan Shortblock: $8,000; Built Obiwan Head: $4,000; Total Engine Rebuild: somewhere around $5,000; Miscellaneous replacing parts (oil pump, water pump, motor mounts, pulleys, etc): no idea, but at least $3,000. So be wise and build smart the first time. More money upfront, but smarter in the long run.

so Redshift is no good? Or are they the ones who put all the new stuff in?

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
I’m not disagreeing with the opinions of doing it correctly the first time. But, it will be much more than $10K unless? Do you have all of the BPU mods? Front mount, gages, wideband and good clutch? If these things are already in place you might pull it off for less than $10K. The minimum list doesn’t sound that bad but it always escalates above that initially planned.

Been there done that. Let the sickness begin!

David

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I'd plan on 13-15k. There are always "less expensive options" but some will be costly in the long run. Get the most reliable parts you can so that you only have to do the upgrade once, and plan on replacing other things that come up if possible at the same time to make things easier.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
well, Here is what I went with...
HPF turbo kit with 67mm turbo 3500
HPF 3row 1100
Map ECU 350
HKS BOV 175
Zeitronix WB 300
Southebend PP and RPS disc 750
Built my own fuel (850cc) 1200
Hose techniques vac line 150
Greddy Boost gauge 125
Prefec B spec II bc 225
Greddy BCC 70
Greddy Ti exhaust 900

I did everything myself, but I think labor for the turbo kit install would be
about 1500, and clutch 400. maybe add 250 for electroncs installs and 350 for tuning.

So yeah...you can get a good start for around 10k.

Doing it right doesn't always mean throwing money at it..(although it helps), dont put money into stuff that you don't need right away either.
Like a LSD, or an aem ems...

Just my .02c...I did this in two parts turbo setup/ then fuel...

·
Gone Fishin
395 Posts
Mine wasnt too bad..........
- PT 61/68 Xmas present from girlfriend. Freebie.
- Ebay manifold $100
- HKS Wastegate $200 used
- VPC w/harness $400
- Downpipe/MP $800
- Afc Fuel controller $ 280
- Greddy 3 row $1300
- HKS BOV $ 250
- BCC $100
- 6puck unsprung clutch $600
- OEM Flywheel $500

First pull on a single: Priceless

Probablly around $5000 all said and done, I may have forgotten misc things.

·
889 Posts
supraman116: RedShift did both pre- and post-motor explosion work. They are good guys, however I think they have much more familiarity working on 240s etc. If I were to do it again, I would send my car to either Titan or Obiwan or someone of that caliber simply because they have day-in, day-out experience with MKIVs. If you are going to do it right, you want someone who knows the car and has done the work before. It may cost more initially, but it would be well worth it down the road.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the responses guys I really appreciate it tremendously! I'm currently budgeting a LOT more than what some folks have said, so right now I'm wondering exactly how insane I can go.

I'm a total fan of doing it right the first time, and plan on doing just that. I do not plan on buying an additional car since I love mine too much: still under 36k miles for a 94 and running great.

Ken, would you mind if I shot you an email? I had a few questions I wanted to ask you offline, let me know what a good addy to hit you at is.

Thanks again for your responses, they are all helpful!

·
889 Posts
SuperNova: Out of curiosity, what are your power goals, and since you said you had specific kits/parts in mind, what do you plan on going with? I imagine your destination will be a key factor in determining the cost of the path you take. Braddman's Excel file has a very good take-down of costs from a budget single to fully built, so long as you aren't going the eBay route:) which I am assuming you are not. Also, if you are going for around 600 HP, I have a local, slightly used RPS Stage 3 clutch that I may have to get rid of in favor of a RPS carbon-carbon due to a larger turbo...cheap.
Chris

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chris: Right now my power goals are around 650 to 700hp on pump gas, with boost coming on as soon as possible. Not really intersted in astronomical #'s that only happen past 5k rpm, more in having a very streetable yet blisteringly fast car.

I've gotten feedback from a bunch of people here as well as some local friends and I'd like to go with the T04Z kit (.81) from HKS, as well as starting to narrow down the different LSD / Clutch / IC / Fuel / Cooling / Cams / etc / etc / etc :) modifications that are either required or smart to do. In addition I'm going to have a test pipe installed so that I may swap a catalytic convertor on for emissions tests, so a custom exaust is also in the cards.

Reason I hadn't dropped that initially was that I didn't want to have the thread turn into the "why not look into the Garret housing with different internals" etc etc. I was more interested in budget allocations and doing things in one big swoop and getting it done right, rather than have the discussion go that route.

I'll let you know on the clutch, thank you very much!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts