Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
86.5 7mgte swap with way more money into it than needs to be... I'm currently getting my motor fixed again....after tx2k6 when i got my rod knock back again
(THANKFULLY IT WAS ONLY THE BOTTOM END BEARINGS!). Anyways, My old turbo blew and spewed all my oil out my exhaust (2.5 quarts reallll quick). I was looking for a direct replacement for the stocker, but from what i've seen there's nothing really cheap (besides rebuilding which my mechanic is against...it scrapes all the way around the housing)

READ THE RULES! NO EBAY LINKS ALLOWED!

My motor is runnning all new parts xcept stocker rods. Mike Dajda (my mechanic) said i'd be fine for 15 psi (he would'nt run more cause stocker rods) I figure i might as well get rid of the stock exhaust LOG while i'm at it and have a motor i put over 6 grand into run all that much better.

since the numbers don't mean much to me I was hoping somebody would be able to tell me if this would suit my needs. I'm running the phr Mapecu (or at least i soon will be) so it'll be fully tuned to my 550cc injectors.

I have purchased a few things from fatboygarage before (my intercooler and piping kit) both of which were of good quality.

anyways hope somebody can help

· Registered
3,136 Posts
i like how they say:

1.05 A/R TURBINE HOUSING
GREAT FOR RAPID SPOOL!

· DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
1,937 Posts
You will need LOTS of mods to make that work. Also you should swap on a different exhaust housing. If you are spending that much, just get the whole ssautochrome "kit".

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow i cant believe anybody would suggest anything from ssautochrome.... Yeah I figured it wa s probably a waste of time. sry bout that guys. so then, what turbo would be efficient and fast spooling at 15 psi? don't have time to search i'm leaving for work in about 2 seconds
thanks!

· DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
1,937 Posts
Truetaylor said:
wow i cant believe anybody would suggest anything from ssautochrome.... Yeah I figured it wa s probably a waste of time. sry bout that guys. so then, what turbo would be efficient and fast spooling at 15 psi? don't have time to search i'm leaving for work in about 2 seconds
thanks!
HAHAHAHAA....it's the exact same turbo as the one yer looking at-a Surplus Diesel job. Actually I run one (sorta)

· 25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,348 Posts
15 psi is nothing if your not detonating on the 7MGTE. (Assuming your AF is right, timing is right and other factors are all working correctly.)

That Ebay turbo sure is cheap, but the huge hot side AR will make your car very laggy on this small 60 trim turbo. You want a .53 on that turbo for quick spool and your 15psi goals.

I would reccomend NOT going with the new manifold and this turbo if your goal is only 15psi of boost. The stock manifold is fine for the level of performance your looking to get, and a bolt on T4 would be right at home.

Get the LIPP Boss 550 hot side if you can. (There will be two sources for this hot side soon. One from SS and the other from Jeff T. using Master Power CHRA's and compressor housings. SS uses Innovative CHRA's and compressor housings.)
Innovative produces awesome parts, and I've used a Innovative built bolt on turbo for years with great results, but I'm going to Master Power for my next turbo just because they have a good reputation for quality too, and they are 600.00 v/s 1900.00 for basicly the same thing.

I don't know who builds the turbo on your ebay auction, but that hot side AR is totally wrong for a 3.0L motor. (It would spool quickly on a 500ci V8, but you'll hate it on our cars.)

· Registered
5,562 Posts
Man i have the SUPER T70 for ss and i just bought it for the hell of it. that thing fuckin works, 24psi all day long :bigthumb: when i bought it i was just like, hmm better than stock whatever ill get it. welp its been running for 3 months straight spoolin everyday and spankin people day by day. juss my 2 cents

· Registered
3,136 Posts
Just don't try to get them to warranty the goods, sent them an email a few months ago regarding warranty and stuff and have never EVER heard anything from them.

But as long as it works... who needs warranty ;)

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the problem with ssautochrome is their customer service.
a while back I somehow found a site that lets you search thru e-bay users feedback, and a brought up all the bad ones for ssautochrome and holy shit those guys are assholes

this guy bought a manifold from them and there were holes in their welds and missing bolts and all kinds of screwed up crap with their kit. Their basic response was usually something to the effect of "this guy is just a little whiney baby, go cry to your mommy you little baby!" WHAT? what kind of POS customer service is that? it's not like that's the only one. I think i looked thru about 30 pages of stuff exactly like that. If i buy something already broken or soon to fail, what's the point?

i actually have another stocker ct-26 that might be rebuildable. it came with my motor and looks about like somebody dropped a bolt in the intake tube. The turbine is pretty torn up but the bolt didn't make it thru. little shaft play. I guess it'd be better to just rebuild this one? I just want something that won't be completely out of efficiency at 15... If you suggest rebuild, exactly what trim (i hear 57 is much more reliable than 60 right?) and exhaust turbine? i'm just tired of screwing with it.
thanks for the input guys

true

· Registered
1,044 Posts
if you buy it, I'd recommend sending it to masterpower immediately and get it rebuilt. From what I've read, sschrome turbos are masterpowers with center sections that did not pass quality control. Of course, I'm just spouting off 2nd hand info... don't quote me on that.

· Registered
3,818 Posts
your Stock Rods are more than capable of more than 15psi. they can hold a LOT of power...500+ so dont even worry about it.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i keep trying searches to find what the stocker rods are good for but can't find it... What boost would you guys say is completely SAFE (as far as rods go, which mine are apparently in perfect condition still) on a basically "race" built 7m that's been bored to 3.2 (it was pretty far outta round)
any drop in replacement turbo that's under 1000$?

· Registered
3,818 Posts
well what kinda internals do you have? what valve train do you have. you say race built but that doesnt mean anything to us.
mind telling us all you had done to your motor?
if you need another turbo so bad and dont have the funds i say just buy a good condition stocker for $150 and throw that on there and save some more money up and buy a decent turbo when you have enough instead of cheaping out.

· Registered
3,169 Posts
Get the manifold and then get yourself a master power turbo, you will be set. Thats what im running and i love it. Im running the master power t70 and the turbo is a little laggy but as soon it hits full spool its unbelievable.

· Premium Member
4,685 Posts
there is no specific psi or power level the rods fail. Infact ive never seen stock rods fail in real life other than bad rod knock or severe detonation. The most ive heard of is like 7xx rwhp.

Get an upgraded bolt on turbo, i dont think youre ready for the work and money it takes to change everything to fit a big single external wastegate tubular manifold setup, judging from your replies.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol, of course not. I got this damn car when i was 16 and knew nothing about it. Since then i've pulled the turbo off and had more parts of this damn motor apart than i care to count. Me and my buddy replaced the headgasket and then right after that i got rod knock...so now i'm on this rebuild. I don't know what i'm doing, which is why i'm having somebody build it. anyways, i don't know why i said race built. lol, that was retarded, i basically just meant daily driver race built...like i'll be able to take it to a track (not drag) and drive the damn thing without it blowing up.
The level it's gonna be set at is 15 psi, in hopes of the damn thing being reliable for the next ....many years to come(i also JUST bought a brand new wiring harness). there is a lot more done to the motor than this, but
i've got arp studs with 2.0 mm HKS mhg, Teflon coated pistons (he can't remember what brand...or just won't tell me right now) high quality bearings and brand new gaskets all the way around(or course). (as well as a high flow oil pump...dont know the company but it's supposedly the only one that does it) running a 3'' full custom exhaust with apex-i universal 3'' muffler and upgraded intercooler with custom hardpipes. (the intercooler stuff we cut and installed ourselves) my 550 cc injectors were originally gonna be used with lex afm but my sensor has gone bad 3 times and i'm seriously tired of fucking with that, so I got a phr Map-ecu to match it all up.
anyways, mike gave me huge discounts last time on all the work he did and then my turbo immidiately blew right after break-in, as i said earlier, exhaust seals went out and gave me some more rod knock due to the 2.5 quarts low...dont understand how i never saw any smoke...whatsoever
anyways, it's been 2 years since i got the car, and i'm soooooo tired of fuckin with it, as well as not being able to drive it, but it's gonna have to have some power if i'm spending this much money on it.

that being said, can anybody tell me the exact name of a DIRECT replacement for the ct-26 that will suit my needs?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.