Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how can i beat a 2001 ss camaro

wat mods will i need on my car to beat the camaro ss iknow thoose cars are quick. i just saw my friends ss run a 1/4mile time at lacr , he ran a 13.8 best stock and its a auto and he ran constant 13.9's what can i do to kick his ass cause hes getting gears
thanks mike
n/a supra

·
651 Posts
Borrow someone's BPU'd MKIV!

A N/A MKIV doesn't stand a chance with a Camaro SS.

The SS with a few basic mods, tires and a decent driver will hang with a BPU'd Supra.

Sorry to break it to you but, you don't stand a chance.

Time for a TT!!!

Thomas Kenyon

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man well i wanta do a single turbokit. wat are the prices on some
can you guys give me quotes

·
651 Posts
Yea, I would agree... Don't convert a NA over to a single. You'll have a highly modified car that no one will touch when you go to resell. The market for a NA Supra with a single turbo is pretty small!

You wanna hang with your bud's SS??? Sell your NA for $12K and buy a TT Supra.

That to me seems like the best way.

Thomas Kenyon

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what if i did the engine drop then work on it from there. if i did get the engine drop what more will i need
mike

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Transmission as well im pretty sure... maybe even a TT ecu? not sure if they are different, seems like they would be a lot different.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i just wanta get my car up and going i got like 45 hundred dallors to spend what do you guys consider??
mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
go to www.suprastore.com they sell the turbo upgrade for the N/A supra for $4800, that includes a new feul system, Turbonics T04E twin turbos, turbo manifold, DP, racing wastegate, fmic, intercooler tubing, air intake, air filter, BOV kit, oil cooler, transmistion cooler, turbo heat shield, and head gasket. that is one hell of a deal and it builds just over 320 rwhp. if you throw in another $1400 to BPU it you will KICK HIS ASS!!! i know that is $6200 but just start with the turbo kit and save for the BPU. after the BPU you will be pushing 460hp (crank, of course) and you will kill him. i have heard of BPU's running 11's. hopefully i helped.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A stock Z28SS is no problem for any NA-T Supra or NA-T SC300. Main problem is that the 5spd has a smaller clutch and won't launch as well as the 6spds. I've been able to spank many LS1s in my setup and was only around $8k including clutch, AVC-R, Auxi injector controller, etc. I'd stick with Toyomoto or SoundPerformance for the upgrades, though. They're more expensive but well worth it. The F-Max kit is inexpensive, but has many drawbacks from what I've heard - boost leaks, manifold cracks, etc... At this level, you're basically around BPU+ TT Supra level - Mid [email protected] on street tires (not DRs).

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well thanxs to mr. t that info was alot of help i never knew that they had a kit that was around that price range i thought there were all around 7-up well im defintly concidering that turbokit. now later on down the line will it be hard to upgrade the turbos?
and if i get the turbokit can i use the stock internals and have a high boost

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you can get the sp57 or sp 60 and keep the intercooler and fuel system and this will build about 540 hp i beleive. if you want to go big you can get a new fmic and a new fuel system and push like 800hp. mush cheaper to keep the fmic and fuel though.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it took you 8000 dollars to run 12's? thats pathetic! if you want to spank a camaro SS for cheaper, get a mustang. performance parts are cheaper and get more horsepower. if spent right, 8k in a mustang can turn 9's
try getting a real car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it took you 8000 dollars to run 12's? thats pathetic! if you want to spank a camaro SS for cheaper, get a mustang. performance parts are cheaper and get more horsepower. if spent right, 8k in a mustang can turn 9's

·
Registered
12 Posts
This thread has definitely gone off the orignal track in the subject of the cheapest way to get a NA Supra to beat a stock SS. TT engine swaps with single turbos aren't cheap. NOS is the only cheap solution out there. Just for the cost of swapping the drivetrains, it would be a lot cheaper to just sell the NA and get a TT. NAs weren't built for racing, TTs were. That is the simple fact. On the same token, they also have 6 cylinder Mustangs and F-bodies for the same reason. Asking a NA Supra to beat an SS is like asking a 6 cylinder Mustang to beat a stock GT.

Here are a couple of pieces of information to keep in mind. First, a Supra TT can run 12's 100% stock on stock rubber by just pulling 1 hose(VSV). Cost for this mod = $0. This single mod usually means 340-360 rwhp. While no one would recommend driving a car around like that all the time, it is fine for the occassional grudge match. Second, a LS1 F-body with just bolt-ons will not run with a BPU Supra unless their is something wrong with the Supra. A typical BPU Supra(Downpipe, boost controller, BCC and exaust) will put out 400-420 rwhp at 18 psi on street gas. That is only $1000-1500 in mods. Intakes, intercoolers, timing gears and a VPC will make a difference, but little compared to what a boost controller and downpipe will do. Those mods are more important for preparing a car for a single turbo to be added later and make the car more durable for long term, but are definitely not essential at this level. If they are making less than that, there are either boost leaks or the turbos are going bad.

F-bodies with bolt-ons will not hang with a BPU unless you consider heads and cam or NOS as bolt-ons. If that is the case, then a single turbo would also be considered a bolt-on. The only F-bodies that I have seen that run with BPUs are with heads and cam. Stock Z06's can't even hang with BPU Supras. It is simple power to weight.

The only "street" Mustang I saw run 9's had a fully built 347 stroker with a Vortech T-trim running a Paxton fuel system. I have seen other Mustangs that have run 9's, but only 1 that was a true street car and not a trailered race car. None of those trailer cars were built for $8K either. He spent more that $8K just on the motor. I would like to find out about this magical formula to run 9's for $8K. For the kind of power it will require, it can't be done with a stock rear end or a stock tranny. Figure over $2,500 just to start with those 2 issues. A real clutch, TKO tranny and 31 spline axles/diff are a minimum at that level. I would also like to see someone able to get 600 rwhp on a stock 302, ie stock heads and short block with just adding a blower and/or NOS. A built engine costs real money and so does everything that goes into a car to complete it. Of course this is also assuming you do all your own labor.

·
Nice ass huh?
822 Posts
All I can say is well put SuperchargedMaxima! You know your cars huh? Nice to see that there are people out there who can look outside there small little world to the big world that's out there.

1fast2jzgte: you are at a slight disadvantage being that your car even with a turbo kit and clutch wouldn't IMO hold up to the abuse you would put on it. You could build it to beat the SS but you would have reliability issues and more cost than you would expect. You can build it to be fast.....but build it for you to have fun and be happy....not to beat the other guy with a faster platform to start with. Cause when those issues come up you will be very disappointed and not very happy....just my $.02

·
Registered
22 Posts
:rolleyes:

It would be nice if, next time, you'd pass the bong to everyone instead of hogging it all to yourself.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i guess its just a start i plan on getting more then just the turbokit. i really wanta go all out on the car but the nos i wanted to do alittle bit later. but i take it that 12s is not to great for 8g's well i think either way i spend 8g's im not gonna get faster then 12's correct me if im wrong theres not much to do but to take step by step.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts