Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...a while back I swapped in a built trans, a 3400 PI convertor, and a deeper lexus GS pan....i filled up the trans without starting the car and without thinking put 9 quarts in...this filled up my trans and out the breather tube on the top it came....

anyway.....ever since i filled up the trans through the dipstick tube, ive never been able to get an accurate reading...its like the dipstick tube always has fluid sitting in it...so ever since the fill, its always said it was full, when hot or cold...is there a way to get it to settle down to where i can get an accurate reading??

·
Registered
210 Posts
trans

I had the same issue the first time I changed mine. I am not sure about a built transmission with a deeper pan, bu I just refilled with the exact amount the owners manual stated to put back stated near the end of the manual.

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
How are you checking the fluid?

The car should be pretty warm and the car should be running in Park when checking the fluid. If you checking it with the car off its going to always be full because all the fluid is in the pan when the pump is not running. I always run it through the gears just before I check mine to make sure the fluid is in all the circuits.

Bob

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Before checking you should pull up from L into P and keep the car running.
The stock pan holds 2 quarts, and the larger capacity pan holds an additional quart.
Just be sure not to overfill and pop the seals from excess pressure.

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so.....your saying that when the car is cold it will still register to the hot line on the dipstick??

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Before checking you should pull up from L into P and keep the car running.
The stock pan holds 2 quarts, and the larger capacity pan holds an additional quart.
Just be sure not to overfill and pop the seals from excess pressure.
you mean 2 gallons?

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k...well i put it in park with it running....did the L-P.(low to park)....and still the same thing......so im not really sure what I need to do to get a fresh and accurate reading...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Drain and start over?

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
then i feel that i will be in the same exact situation...the problem is I have the fluid just coated and hanging around inside the dipstick tube...even if i drained...id still have to fill it right back up through the tube, which would once again leave the inside of the tube, wet and damp with fluid.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Be careful with driving around with an overfilled trans. After I put my built tranny in the car I filled it up but ended up adding more then I needed. I do have 2 coolers with a huge filter. But still I thought I measured the amount of fluid correctly but in the end that was not the case. When I was on a road course I ended up blowing the front input shaft seal. A $5 part that required the removal of a tranny. Since then what I did was fill it with the specified amount plus some extra for the coolers, started the car, and then actually had to drain some so that the amount would come down to the COLD level. Then once I was there I took the car out, warmed up the fluid. The best way to do this is to drive in stop and go traffic or better yet drive in some garages with steep slopes at slow speeds so you can have the converter warm up the fluid. Then when the fluid is actually upto operating temp, check the dip stick. If you're above the "HOT" mark then drain some more. From my experience you will not alway reach the "HOT" mark when you are driving. For instance if you're cruising on the highway on a cool day the tranny fluid will not warm up as much as it will when you're putting around town.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts