Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SONICSUPRA IS BACK!!
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i'm looking at my back main seal how can i tell it is bad? will it be leaking oil? how about the front main seal? will it also leak oil? too see the front main seal i have to remove the crank pulley and timing cover right? is there anyway to tell w/out taking all that off? even if the seals still look okay should i go ahead and replace them while the engine is not in the car yet?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
even if the seals still look okay should i go ahead and replace them while the engine is not in the car yet?
Yes. Better to go ahead and do it now and know your seal is brand new.

Would suck to have to do $500 in labor down the road for a $15 dollar seal

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
Listen to joe =D replace both main seals before you put the motor in. Both me and my brothers rear main seals started to leak shortly after both our swaps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Shouldn't you use dyno oil to seat the seals. I was wanting to use a semi synthetic and then full synthetic, but I havent changed my seals, so now I'm not sure what I want to do.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
rear main seal requires pulling the flywheel off, popping the old seal out, and pushing a new one in. The front main seal requires removing the crank pully, and the timing gear IIRC.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i swapped my seals when i put my motor in... but the rear leaks anyways... i dont want to pull the tranny :-(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts