Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how difficult is it to replace the headliner in a mkIII? i'm doing an interior color change and the carpet place that i may get carpet from will sell me a headliner kit for like $39 or something, and while i was just going to dye the existing headliner, it's kinda messed up. i would rather replace it, but if this is not possible i'll just keep the existing one. has anyone here removed the headliner before and installed it again successfully? this is hardtop, btw.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have replaced many headliners, however upon pulling the old stuff out of my 88 HT I realized I should leave this one for the professionals. All the ones Ive done(about a dozen) had a cardboard backer that the headliner was glued to. You could pull some trim pieces out, pull the backer down, recover it and then put it back in. That is not the case with our cars. You have custom stretch and glue the headliner material in the car. This would not be difficult if it was flat, it is not. Pull your old one out and you will see why you will probably be better off having it done professionally.

If you do attempt it, let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i just did mine i just used my old headliner and got black suede and glued it all in if you need help just let me know ps that glue in a spray can don't work

·
Registered
221 Posts
Changed my headliner cover on my HT from grey to burgandy. I just removed all the plastic trim from around the headliner, removed the rear view mirror,. and there is a little metal clip that holds on to a brace about the center of your hood. not really hard to get out or put back

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
I second that, I had mine out in my N/A I converted entirely to Black/Grey vinyl interior. Just pull out all those trim peices that hold it up, the a pillars, back panels (I had out but not sure if those hold it up), visors, map lights, rear view mirror (or work around it), and simply pull it down slowly and carefully, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts