Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a Na Auto supra, wonderful condition, just not the drivetrain I want at ALL.

I am not interested in modding an NA automatic, dones't make any sense to me.

HOWEVER< the car is in great condition, low miles.

Are the Manual tranny swaps a bear in this?
How does the PCM react etc etc.

Also, I've noticed a few threads here and there about people doing NA to GTTE swaps. How does that work? PCM flash, and every part you can scrounge up ? :}

I understand the fuel pump is different, what other differences are there?

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes of course. I have done some searches, however most of the results I've found were threads containing the advice to do a search :]

I am a bit handy with a wrench so to speak, and was looking for a little technical advice, perhaps from somone who had completed the swap sucessfully.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
PM or wait till MADMAXX gets on here. He has done what your talking about as far as the swap is concerned. There is quite a bit of info on the NA Section as well. I'm doing the NA -> TT Swap right now. But I'm not doing it, my mechanic is. But MADMAXX did it himself so he knows his stuff. Good Luck.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
not worth the time or effort when you consider the cash outlay also. Better to wait and get a TT. If you are only trying to save on insurance money, then this is another factor to consider as the NA is a lot less to insure (at least here in NH)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
98mkiv said:
not worth the time or effort when you consider the cash outlay also. Better to wait and get a TT. If you are only trying to save on insurance money, then this is another factor to consider as the NA is a lot less to insure (at least here in NH)
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. While the swap, and drivetrain would be pricey. If you do the work yourself you can come out ahead. Also if you can find a Excellent Conditioned NA at a resonable price. I would much rather do a swap on a car like that than buy a okay conditioned TT. Cause in the end you'll be spending around the same amout of money or even more.

Good Conditioned NA - $15K (hopefully)
TT/6Speed Tranny and Engine $6-7k
Swap Labor w/misc Parts (Labor can be free), parts $1000

Your looking at around $23K for an Excellent TT. Even if you pay for Labor @ around $3000 for the swap, your still only spending $26k. And I estimated very high.

I say get the NA, and do the JDM Swap. I got my motor for $4000, and I paid too high. You can find some out there w/tranny for around $4500-$6000. Depends on where you go.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
begone said:

Good Conditioned NA - $15K (hopefully)
TT/6Speed Tranny and Engine $6-7k
Swap Labor w/misc Parts (Labor can be free), parts $1000

Your looking at around $23K for an Excellent TT. Even if you pay for Labor @ around $3000 for the swap, your still only spending $26k. And I estimated very high.

But for 26k you can just get a nice TT that will have everything already done from the factory which pretty much means there will be no issues with wiring and headaches...not to mention it'll include everything like the Turbo brakes and whatnot.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can somone point me in the direction of a 6speed, ~40k Mile 95 or up TT supra for $25k :]

·
J-Spec 4 Life
938 Posts

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hrmm, looks awesome. Would definatly be interested, but it'll probably cost me $5k to get it shipped.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

·
J-Spec 4 Life
938 Posts
actually about $1800 gets the car shipped to FLorida insured. about a 2-3 day trip. I can't speak for prices on getting the car street legal in the states though.

BTW I'm only selling because i need to get a more family oriented car (2000 Toyota Aristo Twin Turbo) I will be purchasing a JDM 2002 Supra TT again end of next year. :)

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not willing to pay 35k, with tax and registration etc. Thats over 40k

Marriage would come first.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont think I can find a clean NA for <10K
Problem is.

You get a car with low miles, Its an Auto NA, 1995 for like $16k
Or, the 135k mile 5 Speed NA for like $9k, 135k= time for EVERYTHING new. which = another $10k

So everything in the end usually ends up costing like $25k... Or am I just a newbie to searching for Supras and there really are good deals out that.

I would pray I could find a granny, whos husband can no longer drive his Supra, and didnt drive it much, just in the summer time, sitting in a garage, under a car cover. Oh about a 1995, Say 6 Speeds TT :] with 35k miles on it for like $17k LOL

(Beau Wakes Up)

"Whats that, btw what did you say your name way?"
"Ends? Oh, well ok ends, and where did you say you picked this supra up from?"

"Oh i see got it from a guy in london, and you cant find him again... ok, now Id say this car could have some problems at 185k, wouldn't ya say?"

"Oh its clean huh? Whats that? Toyota wanted this brace bent, and the oily substance from the struts was because you drove through a puddle, and there was a orange julius on the ground"

(conversation goes down hill from there)

Thats how I picture the transaction going.. Lol : /

I guess I need some help guys. Im a turbo Guru, but I do not know the inherient properties of the Supra very well.

I guess Im just Weary because I wouldnt want to buy the car I've got now. Its a Great car, and its strong, it would just require some $$$ to get it back to spec at 100.5k miles. Little things, like door handles, squeeks, Window switch is getting fickle, Blower motor rattles some times when hitting a bump. Things like that.

Because on a car like the Supra, they can add up : /

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Good thread, very informative.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've gone through that site, and it shows a lot of specifics. However it leaves a lot of questions un answered. Such as, master cyl, etc. and Does the 6 speed tranny bolt right UP to the motor? etc etc.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Here's a Sweet NA-T for $17k. You could ride on that Turbo for a while then go TT????

95 NA

With the money I have saved and the hook up I'm getting for my swap. I am very tempted to buy another NA and do another TT Swap in it. The swap is fairly easy, it's just the wiring for the JDM Engines that really drives up the cost.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Beau said:
I've gone through that site, and it shows a lot of specifics. However it leaves a lot of questions un answered. Such as, master cyl, etc. and Does the 6 speed tranny bolt right UP to the motor? etc etc.
Well as far as my Mechanic goes. The only things he's had to make for my JDM is the DP, and he had to relocate the PS resevoir. The hardest part is extending the Harness. But as far as the 6-speeds concerned, you'll have to get a 6-speed Harness and ECU, preferably already from an engine that was once a 6-speed. And all that stuff bolts right in. I know with the drive shaft you'll have to shorten I believe. *Somebody correct me if I'm wrong* But it is very doable.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This subject has to have been covered a million times... Yeah, the search function sucks so go in the NA part and surf that. There's a lot of guys that have done this or thought about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts