Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Boost Addict
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I just bought the Sparco harness bar and a Sparco 4 point bolt in harness for my upcoming trackday... How do I attach it to the harnss bar? Does anybody have any How to's for this and/or pictures? I plan on installing both tonight, so please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
Noah

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
it should be pretty simple, i'm assuming you have racing seats right. Bolt the 2 sides ones to the seatbelt bolts ( one where the seatbelt click thing used to be and one on the bottom on the other side where the seatbelts held to) Then the last 2 should go right in the loops of the harness bar. Sorry i know without pictures it doesnt make some sense.

·
Boost Addict
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't have racing seats, but the stockers will work just fine... I found a link showing me how to wrap the belt around the bar and everything below... i am just going to have to cut off the bolt in feature from the belt I bought to make this method work...

http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Rallye_Instructions.pdf

·
Registered
510 Posts
No I don't have racing seats, but the stockers will work just fine... I found a link showing me how to wrap the belt around the bar and everything below... i am just going to have to cut off the bolt in feature from the belt I bought to make this method work...

Could you please post pics of it installed in your car.

Could you also explain how you wrapped it around the harness bar.

I am in the exact same predicament, I have the sparco harness bar and the 4pt bolt in harness. I have the bottom 2 bolted in, but am perplexed at how i'm supposed to strap it onto the bar.

Thanks!

·
Stock Twins King
4,514 Posts
What bolt are you referring to? I have the same set up and I didnt cut any bolts?? What I did was remove the headrest, took a hack saw and ground another stop notch on the 2 metal posts. So when I am at the track, I take the head rest off, insert the seat belts in between the headrest posts, then drop the headrest back down to the newly notched distance. This makes for about a 1" lift so the belts can move more freely.

sTU

·
Registered
922 Posts

Sounds like you bought the wrong belt. You need to contact sparco to see if what you plan to do is safe. If some of the construction of the belt or brackets are different running the belt modified might cause it to tear or shear off.

·
Boost Addict
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only difference is I bought the tuner version rather than the competition version which they intended to be used with the bar(I didn't know this when I purchased the two and I have no time to order a different belt since my trackday is Monday). The difference being that the Tuner version is not meant to be taken apart, but talking to a guy at sparco, as long as after I cut off the bolt in feature of the rear straps I resew the end of the harness to keep it from fraying I should be fine... The competition version is meant to be taken apart and allows you to wrap the belt as shown in the PDF above.

All I did was cut off the bolt in feature of the belt on the 2 rear straps, put the straps through the headrest, wrapped it per the PDF (which was a pain in the ass I might add since the last wrap you have to put the belt through causing 3 layers of belt in one opening, VERY TIGHT). This belt is not going ANYWHERE!!! It is strong as can be. The only thing I need to get yet is a longer bolt to attach the harness to the center console side of the drivers seat.

I will post pictures as soon as I get my hands on a camera which more than likely won't be until Sunday or Monday...

·
Registered
510 Posts
The only difference is I bought the tuner version rather than the competition version which they intended to be used with the bar(I didn't know this when I purchased the two and I have no time to order a different belt since my trackday is Monday). The difference being that the Tuner version is not meant to be taken apart, but talking to a guy at sparco, as long as after I cut off the bolt in feature of the rear straps I resew the end of the harness to keep it from fraying I should be fine... The competition version is meant to be taken apart and allows you to wrap the belt as shown in the PDF above.

All I did was cut off the bolt in feature of the belt on the 2 rear straps, put the straps through the headrest, wrapped it per the PDF (which was a pain in the ass I might add since the last wrap you have to put the belt through causing 3 layers of belt in one opening, VERY TIGHT). This belt is not going ANYWHERE!!! It is strong as can be. The only thing I need to get yet is a longer bolt to attach the harness to the center console side of the drivers seat.

I will post pictures as soon as I get my hands on a camera which more than likely won't be until Sunday or Monday...
Yep, I got the tuner version as well...

when you do get a chance please post pics.

Thanks!

·
Boost Addict
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do, as stated I won't be able to get ahold of a cmera until the weekend... I will for sure post up some pics though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Will do, as stated I won't be able to get ahold of a cmera until the weekend... I will for sure post up some pics though.

Just wanted to follow up and see how everything held up in the event, and if you got a chance to take pics, thanks!

·
Boost Addict
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, no pics yet.... I would have taken some for you, but my car is actually in the shop right now... On the way down to the track the Oil pressure light came on. Got under the car at the track and found that the underbody pan right in front of the oil pan was leaking... It was leaking very fast too causing the whole underside of the engine to be covered in oil... Needless to say I was a little pissed since I have been prepping the car for the last 3 weeks for this track day and I didn't even get to run it, instead got to watch it be taken away on a flatbed... Hopefully I will find out later today the lowdown on what is wrong with my car. :(

·
Boost Addict
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, just found out I need new
-Crank Seals
-Cam Seals
-Oil pump Seals
-valve cover seals

$1000 worth of parts and labor!!! THIS SUCKS!!! I am going to do the valve cover seals myself since that is super simple, but this really sucks!!

What throws me for a loop is the fact that there is a new (installed 10000 miles ago) short block in the car... Either the shop this guy I bought the car from reused the old seals/gaskets, bought inferior quality parts, or they just didn't know what the hell they were doing. Any way I look at it, I got screwed when I bought this car!!!

·
Banned
455 Posts
Did you take the car to DynoXtreme ?

oh noes did i just say that?:1poke:

·
Boost Addict
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know the name of the place the guy took it too... Supposedly they had worked on Supra's since 95', but that doesn't mean $hit to me if they aren't any good... I have to get the name of the place tonight so people stay away from this shop!!! It was somewhere somewhat close to Bakersfield, CA...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Damn man, sorry to hear that.

By crank seals, do you mean front/rear main seals?

I know the front mains are very finicky seals to replace, and unless done perfectly they are very prone to leaks.

Good luck with everything

·
Boost Addict
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It was the front main seal... I have a feeling since this weekend I installed a more free flowing exhaust allowing the car to boost 14psi+ on it's own rather than the previous 12psi, the already weak seals decided to let go... Either way it sucks. I will be picking my car up tomorrow though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts