Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done putting the head and cams back on my NA after putting on a 3mm headgasket. Hooray.

Anyways, the matchmarks I put on the timing belt faded before I got the job done, so I am starting from square one.

Question 1:
How do I set the No. 1 cylinder to top dead center of the compression stroke?

Question 2:
After I do this and put the timing belt on (with both cam gear hash marks aligned with the timing belt cover), how do I set my alternator properly (what point should the rotor be at when the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC compression)?

Thanks to anyone that can help, I would like to get this job knocked out tomorrow!

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
1) rotate the crank so the notch on the crank pulley lines up with 0 degrees on the plastic cover. Rotate the cams so that the dimples in the front of the cam gears are lined up with the two notches on the tin cover behind the cam gears. Take the slack out of the belt on the drivers side as you put the belt on, that way when you put the tensioner on, it won't rotate the gears at all. Rotate the engine a few times by hand a re-check to make sure th timing is right.

2) You mean distributor, right? Rotate the crank to tdc again (0 degress and cam gear notches at top). and then align the dimple on the distributor gear with the notch on the distributor shaft. Then insert the distributor assy into the hole in the head, aligning it so that the adjuster is generally in the correct location. After starting the car, you'll have to set the timing with a timing light.

Good luck,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts