Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
J-Spec 4 Life
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed a dvd player but i need to know how to fool the dvd player into thinking the parking brake is up.

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
Do you mean fool it into thinking the brake is down so you can watch DVD's while driving? If so, I believe all you have to do is ground the parking brake wire on the unit.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
Euphoric said:
Do you mean fool it into thinking the brake is down so you can watch DVD's while driving? If so, I believe all you have to do is ground the parking brake wire on the unit.
That's how it was for Eclipse units, but for units like Alpine, I think they sell an actual kit since it was supposed to be a bit more complicated.

·
J-Spec 4 Life
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks

the book says to put the wire to the power side of the parking brake

so instead of doing that you're saying to ground that wire?

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,508 Posts
Get this moved by a mod into the Car Stereo section.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
if its a setup like the alpine, you need to do a sequence to enable dvd play back.
Normally, if you had it hooked up legitametly, you would pull up the parking brake, hit the foot brake, release parking break, pull parking break back up, then release brake pedal, and then dvd playback would be enabled.

The way the parking brake works on the mkiv, is when its off, it has 12v. When its pulled up its actually grounded.

So what you do is, you get a on/off switch. You hook one lead of the switch up to a ground, and the other lead to the parking brake wire coming out of the unit. This way, when you hit the switch its simulating pulling the parking brake up.

Once thats done, you do the above sequence, but instead of using the parking brake, you use the switch in its place.

Also, a nice way of doing it is..is getting a black box. It simulates that sequence every time the car is turned on, this way you never have to worry about it, and the dvd player is always ready for use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts