Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really would like to get into some road racing, but I am not sure where to start. I live in annapolis, MD. The closest track I believe is summit point but after looking at their web site I'm not really sure what the best way is to get some track time. I dont have a racing license or anything, so what should I do?

Will C.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Go to a driver's Ed course. Look at http://www.trackschedule.com/sched.html

The local car club here has been putting on small road racing events for a while as well. I dunno if you have anything like that where you live, but we pay $25 to lap around a small local track.

You can always start out doing Solo II stuff if road racing is too expensive. But as far as track time / $ is concerned, you can't beat road racing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Try to hook up with the local Porsche or BMW club. They will have events at Summit Point several times a year. Most club events will cost you around $300. This usually gets you three or four 20 minute sessions on Sat and three on Sun and you will have an instructor in the car with you the whole time.

Kirk

S

·
0 Posts
take a road racing course and get your equivolent to the SCCA license.

B

·
0 Posts
SCCA all the way, (Sports car club of america) go to scca.org, they have plenty of information. Alot of the big names came from SCCA, to name one, Michael Andretti.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its nice to heard someone trying to get into road racing instead of drag racing. It all starts with SCCA. I started racing this year. You can pretty much racing anything, at any preparation level. I started racing an accord... heh kinda a waste of time. But my supra raced, and did much better. Although its mainly dependant on suspension and tires, big horsepower isn't necessary. Keep enough cash around in case anything breaks, and that is key.

Just look up a local SCCA region and go racing. You will need a helmet, but not a license. Talk to everyone too, no matter what kind of car they have. And listen to them as well, because some racers can be very insightful.

S

·
0 Posts
I enjoy road racing much more than dragging. its more exciting,
and less strenuous on the car. in road racing, without making more power, you can improve your times by working on timeng, trajectory, hitting the apex and accelerating out of corners. in drag racing you can only improve your launch other than that its pettle to the metal for the whole 1320.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
hey will,
some of us at www.nemkiv.com regularly go road racing at Pocono, Lime Rock, and recently Summit Point was mentioned. It's not balls to the wall racing since they don't want you to be slammin doors with each other, but great fun and challenging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts