Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im looking at buying an 89 supra this weekend, Ive never seen the car in person, only pictures and i was wondering how i could tell if it has a turbo or not. I asked the guy who owns it but he definitely isnt a car guy and has no idea if it has one. I noticed in one of the interior pictures that it had 2 gauges above the air vents and the radio. From things ive seen on the internet the boost gauge is located in the same location. Does this mean it has a turbo or do all supras, even none turbo ones, have gauges above the air vents? Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
1. If it is not a turbo there will be a "volt" gauge there.
2. Look at the car and to the left of the engine will be the TURBO, look around and you will see some engine bay pictures, use the search function.

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
You should go snail hunting, all you need is some salt and a fork, you should have no problem after that.

Also why do t you take a picture of the engine bay and post it since you do not know what to look for

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Yes the boost guage is on the RT side of the guage cluster. Also as a general rule turbo cars have a wing / spoiler, you can be. The turbo will be sitting on the passenger side of the car in the engine bay. Here is a quick pic I found on google, the turbo is mounted below the pipe going over the engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well if you are only going off pictures, then the spoiler is a good indicator unless the car was swapped. Also, see if you can make out the "turbo" badge on the left moulding on the rear of the car, right below the tail light

·
Supra Hoarder...
958 Posts
Simple, look for a turbo.

If the car is swapped you'll have no way to tell what it is, as my swapped 89 turbo has/had the following:

(was) Wingless
(still has) Voltmeter
(has) a 7MGTE, but the timing cover said 7MGE

so honestly, look for a turbo on the passenger side of the engine, and that'll tell you right away..

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.