Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only just recently got my supra within the previous couple months.
Time to put a new clutch in and what not, what's the best way to jack you're car up high enough to work on it? I've seen them airbags you put to the exhaust and they pump the car up i was blown away how strong they where i still would not trust them though without jacks.

I am thinking maybe buying a good airbag and some car stands but even that won't really give me enough room.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why not just jack it up and put it on jack stands?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, That's settled then cheers for the advice :) wheres the best place to jack it up from?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,368 Posts
For the sake of your Supra I'll answer your question seriously. Personally I use the rear diff as my jack point in the back and the front subframe for the front. Place your jackstands under the frame rails (I have a targa so sometimes I use the pinch rails). Make sure they are even on each side and locked in place. Lower car down gently. When you think it's secure, give it a quick shake to make sure it doesn't fall and get to work.

But honestly if you're unsure of how to jack your own car up, I would consider taking it to someone for the clutch replacement.............

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
There are jack points on both sides toward the front and rear of the rockers. I generally set a Jack just inside those or fabricate a special cradle to straddle the pinch seam with the actual jack point. Be certain to jack the car up relatively evenly. Don't just jack 1 wheel 3 inches off the ground and then do the others. This is too much pressure on the jack point and can dent the area where you have placed the jack. It doesn't really cause an issue if it happens but I bought my car dented this way and it drives me nuts every time I look underneath it.

·
MKIV intervention needed
2,988 Posts
this^
i use wood blocks in the jack so the pressure squishes into the wood a little rather than steel on steel.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use a 2x4 on the pinch weld. It's like 3 feet long and distributes the load very well. Then I use stands on the facotry spots. I'll setomes put a tire or another stand under so if it falls it won't crush my head.

·
-Question Conjecture-
3,027 Posts
Best bet is to buy a lift. You'll never go back to working on the ground again and you'll thank your body later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts