Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car that I just bought has the calipers painted red. But they did a horrible job and it looks like crap.

It looks like they used some cheap ass glossy paint and they didn't know what the hell they were doing b/c you can see where paint driped.

I want to get rid off that red paint...and I guess do them black...b/c I don't like them to stand out.

How should I do this.?
What process do you guys recomend me to do.? Do I just paint over them or what.?

Thanks

·
11,219 Posts
My paint is kinda dripping too. I don't really care. I bought them used, and it looks better than the condition they came anyways.

I think the professional (expensive) way to do it is to powdercoat it. The average Joe way is to use the G2 kit. It's like 35; available in many colors.

To repaint them, take off your calipers. Sand them down with like 300 grit sandpaper. The sanding process may take several days. It's hard as shit to sand in the grooves. Just do the best you can. Actually if you buy "Brakleen" (available at Autozone for like $3 a can), and spray that shit all over the paint, the paint will melt. Just buy like 5 cans and spray it good. Then sand it down some more.

Then follow the instructions in the G2 kit.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I like powdercoating. Mine are now two years old and they shine like they were just done. Cost more - yep. But the quality is outstanding.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Use "strip-ease" of some sort from hardware store or somewhere. Soak them in that shit and periodically, drag a razor blade across them to scrap off the paint, then resoak them as needed.

Once you get all or most of the "meat" of the paint off, then proceed to sanding them really good. Then repaint how you feel.

Thanks for the compliments Geoff (94suprattmd) :D

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
hardtopsilver said:
the g2 kit works better though imho

Yeah but then some guys end up with drama when they try applying the stencils over the G2 to do the lettering....plus, if you want 2-3 colors, now you gotta factor that into the drama :D

·
11,219 Posts
blkturbo! said:
Yeah but then some guys end up with drama when they try applying the stencils over the G2 to do the lettering....plus, if you want 2-3 colors, now you gotta factor that into the drama :D
Fuck the stenciling. Waste of my $20. I ended up getting the stickers.

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
The G2 Paint System is good I agree, but I have not seen any job better than how Sean does them! He is member blkturbo! if you want a good quality job done right the first time send them to him I suggest.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
You could try sending them to someone and have them polished.:D

Seriously though...good luck on the fix-up. I think they look pretty good painted if done correctly...it seems that most people paint them red. I am not sure what other colors would look good, but I do kind of like the painted look even though I still have the stock color.:)

Take Care

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Dan94TT said:
The G2 Paint System is good I agree, but I have not seen any job better than how Sean does them! He is member blkturbo! if you want a good quality job done right the first time send them to him I suggest.

Thanks Dan :D

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
buy sand paper, paint thinner/stripper, paint, primer, clear coat. I'm actually doing them right now. I've put on 2 coats of paint on the calpers after stripping off the old black and silver paints.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Wire wheel on a drill - it's how I prepped mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts