Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get my oil filter unscrewed! As you know, you can really only reach one arm up there. How are you guys doing it? Please give me your secrets! (and don't tell me I need to get a Greddy oil filter relocation kit - that won't help me out this time around).

Thanks in advance!

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Ubermensch said:
A filter wrench is your friend. Pick one up (style depends on your filter).
yep...thats what i use. i picked up a cheap one from the local auto parts store and just use it to loosen/tighten the oil filter.

i don't know how big your arms are but i can get to my oil filter from the top. i keep an oil pan on the bottom when i take out the oil filter.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the battery out to try to get to it from the top; I also tried from the bottom. I was trying to unscrew it with one hand; no dice. I'll pick up an oil filter wrench at NAPA if you guys say that they will actuall fit up in there.

My arms probably aren't bigger than average; I'm strong, but nobody has ever mistaken me for a defensive lineman.

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
gritsak said:
you can take the battery out to get to it at a better angle and take a big pair a channel locks and get it loose.
oil filter is nowhere near my battery in my '94TT. Is this just for later years?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just take a screw driver and ram it in!!

that's about it.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
VickSupra said:
oil filter is nowhere near my battery in my '94TT. Is this just for later years?
my car is a 94, the filter isnt really *close* to the battery, but when i cant get the filter loose by hand, i take the battery out and it gives me a little more room to move around to the the huge channel lock in there to break the filter loose.

A

·
0 Posts
I clean mine off with some degreaser and put on some rubber gloves and turn. Alex 93tt6spd hardtopper

·
Registered
458 Posts
First off noone should be tightening filters on with a wrench, only hand tighten them...

You can also pick up a filter wrench that accepts a 3/8 rachet or extension to get in there better...

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
theman said:
First off noone should be tightening filters on with a wrench, only hand tighten them...

You can also pick up a filter wrench that accepts a 3/8 rachet or extension to get in there better...
I have the filter wrench that looks like a big socket. Works pretty good. For some filters, you have to make the "socket" a bit smaller - I put some tape on the inside to get a tight fit.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally got if off from underneath the car. I didn't have a filter wrench so (you're gonna love this) I wrapped a piece of vacuum hose around it several times, looped my hand in and bingo!

Messy as anything, even with the plastic bag underneath.

Why am I doing this myself again? Geesh.

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Hehe...I use to always change my own oil...but with my Supra...it getting Mobil one and filter and taking it to local shop and giving them 10 bucks to do it for me...so much easier!!

and IMHO so worth it. At least till I get an oil cooler/relocation kit.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
SdSupraTT said:
Hehe...I use to always change my own oil...but with my Supra...it getting Mobil one and filter and taking it to local shop and giving them 10 bucks to do it for me...so much easier!!

and IMHO so worth it. At least till I get an oil cooler/relocation kit.
im getting to that point too...the oil stains on the garage floor and oil all over my face and body just isnt work the diy satisfaction anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts