Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my life, there have only ever been two cars I knew I needed. My Supra, and the other car I will not name yet. Now I know some of you have garages that can make grown men weak in the knees. How do you own more than one fast/nice car?
I cant wrap my head around it. I am having the dilemma because the other car in question is the only car in the world I would give up the Supra for, and I want to pull the trigger, but I dont know if I can give up the Supra now that I am there.
Thats when I realized I can own both, but then one would never get driven. Maybe I am too young to understand how it works, can someone with experience help me out? Do I buy my dream car, and sell my dream car? Or do I keep both of my dream cars? What would be the point in owning one if it never gets driven?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Make a lot of money? lol

I make a LOT more money now than i did when i bought the car in 2008. On the other hand, I've also learned how to budget certain things in my life. I don't need the fastest internet, the most cable channels, the fanciest furniture. I don't buy clothes very much, and try not to spend my money on stupid useless shit.

Now i don't have 2 badass cars. I have my supra and have a little '02 ranger beater truck. But after i get some stuff ironed out on the supra, hopefully in a year or so, i'll be buying a newer truck. Regardless of that, i can more easily understand the ability to have multiple race cars, and maybe even see that happening in the horizon. We'll see.

Also, you can find good deals on a "badass" car. Shit, you can find a rolling chassis f body for $2000, put a nitrous 5.3/T56 set up in it for probably another $2500, then you have a badass 500whp f body that you only have $4500 in, as opposed to paying $10k for one that already had a bunch of that kind of stuff done.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make a lot of money? lol

I make a LOT more money now than i did when i bought the car in 2008. On the other hand, I've also learned how to budget certain things in my life. I don't need the fastest internet, the most cable channels, the fanciest furniture. I don't buy clothes very much, and try not to spend my money on stupid useless shit.

Now i don't have 2 badass cars. I have my supra and have a little '02 ranger beater truck. But after i get some stuff ironed out on the supra, hopefully in a year or so, i'll be buying a newer truck. Regardless of that, i can more easily understand the ability to have multiple race cars, and maybe even see that happening in the horizon. We'll see.

Also, you can find good deals on a "badass" car. Shit, you can find a rolling chassis f body for $2000, put a nitrous 5.3/T56 set up in it for probably another $2500, then you have a badass 500whp f body that you only have $4500 in, as opposed to paying $10k for one that already had a bunch of that kind of stuff done.
Well the problem is not really the financial side, it is the how do you physically own two cars of high caliber side, if that makes sense?
I can only see it going the way where you end up focusing so much time on one that you seemingly neglect the other.
To put it in example, how do people own a Supra and a 997? or a GTR? Or Viper? etc.

- On another note, that f-body idea sounds awesome

·
Boost Junkie
12,615 Posts
What do you mean? You drive one part of the time and the other the other part of the time? What's the problem? Living in San Diego you can drive one every other day.

Steve

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts
I'm not an "either/or" kinda guy, so I have two Supras. The TT is my track car / project car. The NA is my daily which I've owned for 19 years. I alterate between them so they both get driven about the same amount.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
I believe I am qualified to answer this...I drive neither car because somethings always getting fixed...wait....fuck.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What do you mean? You drive one part of the time and the other the other part of the time? What's the problem? Living in San Diego you can drive one every other day.

Steve
I guess its just me then. I would have trouble making my mind up. I am one of those people who say they should never own more than one weekend car, and a daily driver. I have a daily driver, and the Supra is my weekend car as its called. But it just seems impossible for me to have to decide what to drive when. It sounds stupid, but there is no single thing in this world I give more time to than my hobby so for me it is not such a simple decision.
Truthfully it would be easier for me to get rid of one for the other, but for me to part ways with the Supra, would be very difficult.

I'm not an "either/or" kinda guy, so I have two Supras. The TT is my track car / project car. The NA is my daily which I've owned for 19 years. I alterate between them so they both get driven about the same amount.
I am an either or kind of guy is the issue. I have to draw out calculations just to decide what to eat for dinner.

I believe I am qualified to answer this...I drive neither car because somethings always getting fixed...wait....fuck.
That is the advice I needed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How similar exactly are the two cars?

It helps if the cars are different enough that each gives you a reason to drive it. I have a few 'weekend' cars and still drive them all about equally, but that's because each one gives me a different experience. I have a big single supra for adrenaline shots, a BPU supra for cruising, LSX FD with ohlins coilovers and r888's for curves, then I have a LS powered 78 FJ40 which is totally cool, top off in the dirt... My only problem is picking which one to take. If they were all very similar I doubt I would use them all.

·
YotaMD.com author
729 Posts
Not sure if I can relate to your situation, but I don't drive my mk3 often enough to keep the battery maintained and it's annoying. Perhaps that's the kinda thing you're on about. For me, recently getting a 3 car wide garage has helped. I had a tandem garage, which was neat and cool for projects, but impractical to drive the cars regularly.

Having a house with garage access for all the vehicles is a big step in the right direction. Making enough $ that buying said house in a decent area doesn't drain most your fun money is probably the biggest challenge. ;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
For me it's the GT-R and the Porsche 930. One is as new and digital as they come and the other is as analog and primitive as they come. You just drive the one you need a fix for at the time.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just make more money, it always solves the "how do i" "I need" "I wish i....." :)
As much as I love money, it wont really help the situation haha

How similar exactly are the two cars?

It helps if the cars are different enough that each gives you a reason to drive it. I have a few 'weekend' cars and still drive them all about equally, but that's because each one gives me a different experience. I have a big single supra for adrenaline shots, a BPU supra for cruising, LSX FD with ohlins coilovers and r888's for curves, then I have a LS powered 78 FJ40 which is totally cool, top off in the dirt... My only problem is picking which one to take. If they were all very similar I doubt I would use them all.
The cars are totally different. Problem is the way I am building the Supra, they may as well both be the same devil.

Not sure if I can relate to your situation, but I don't drive my mk3 often enough to keep the battery maintained and it's annoying. Perhaps that's the kinda thing you're on about. For me, recently getting a 3 car wide garage has helped. I had a tandem garage, which was neat and cool for projects, but impractical to drive the cars regularly.

Having a house with garage access for all the vehicles is a big step in the right direction. Making enough $ that buying said house in a decent area doesn't drain most your fun money is probably the biggest challenge. ;)
I have the room. I live with my parents while I go to school and work. I would not be able to afford this addiction with the expenses of living alone. I am mainly dealing with the issue of practicality. Both cars are impractical in their finished state, and I feel like I want both, but dont need both.

For me it's the GT-R and the Porsche 930. One is as new and digital as they come and the other is as analog and primitive as they come. You just drive the one you need a fix for at the time.
Great combo, only problem is, for me both of these cars are primitive in their own regards.

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
wtf. Buy the other car and see how owning both works out. If it doesn't then sell one of them.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Probably like other guys, when I read your title, I would think of about a dozen other obstacles before , "how do I decide which one to drive", lol.

Part of your answer is, in addition to driving, there is wrenching, washing, and gazing upon the additional car to enjoy.

I used to think I'd be content with just the Sup and a nice daily. Now I'm hanging out more and more in these Other Cars threads, reading about 4-post lifts, and other such things that would alarm my wife

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont wanna give it away. Its far from typical ill say that much. If I sell the sup, i can fund some of this car with that cash, if not then it may take longer to acquire. In the end the "other" I will own 110%, the question is if I keep both is it smart? Both are not high maintenance, so that not even a consideration when deciding. I simply dont know how to have two cars I love and love both. Like having two wives, im not that kind of guy. I have always had one thing at a time and thats all I am used to. I am not rich and dont want to create a car collection. But I have put 5 years of my life into the supra already and to give it up is hard, but to ignore it is just as painful to me. This hobby is my soul. I mean whether I would be working on a Civic or a Lambo, I give my all. But I feel I can only give my all to one.
I dont know its a question that may be stupid to have been asked. But its such a serious thing for me that I had to ask to get some opinions.
I take heed to what the OG's say. I am young and dont have 1/4 of the experience of most of the people on here

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
A car for every mood. I plan to own a lot of cars.

·
1 ur Mom warned U about
656 Posts
Owning multiple cars comes down to $$'s and Space. If you have both covered, then you are good to go. Personally, I have a soft spot for the Supra, no matter what else I have or will have, but the other cars get just as much TLC. Just that the Supra will get it first! :lol:

It's not like having 2 wives, it's like having 1 wife and 1[or more] side bitches!! :p

·
Registered
431 Posts
As you get older the hobby will still be important, but ultimately they are just metal. I think it's cool your wanting two badass cars, but you can only drive one at a time. I've owned a few nice cars at once, but again it's a pain to worry about them all, insure them all.

·
Registered
699 Posts
As you get older the hobby will still be important, but ultimately they are just metal. I think it's cool your wanting two badass cars, but you can only drive one at a time. I've owned a few nice cars at once, but again it's a pain to worry about them all, insure them all.

I'm finding this out as I currently have three cars. The Supra, which has now become a garage queen, the S2000 which is my track/autox car and then my lovely '02 Honda accord which is my daily beater.

While it's nice having a variety of cars, it is somewhat of a pain and not all that it's cracked up to be. You have only so much time to dedicate to these things. While I love my supra, I find that I'm now dedicating much of my time/research into the S2000 as it's a new platform for me and I enjoy learning as much as I can. In my humble opinion, that car is SO much more fun to drive than the Supra. I just wish it had torque! :D However, the supra just makes me feel like a million bucks when I do get to drive her. For the most part, people truly respect what that car is all about and it's awesome seeing anyone from little kids who know what a Supra is, to talking to 60+ year old guys about their thoughts and feelings in regards to the car too. At some point, I'll probably go back to two cars. I really, REALLY want an Exige S240, so time will tell.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts