Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just from your experience. How did you guys pass aircare with your supras?

I've already know the basic, but I would like to have more knowledge on it with guys running single turbos or had modified there car to a certain extend.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I know the gist of it, anyway. The car as it is set up needs to run pretty rich at idle, or it doesn't run very well. That won't pass, of course. So Bill fixes the AFR at idle until it'll pass, at the expense of being able to run well at idle.

I'm not sure what gear you are running in your car, on mine it's a full stand alone, which makes this kind of task much simpler.

PS: I *am* still running a cat, too.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i have a friend with a HIGHLY modified mk4, and he didnt even pass visual inspection, they didnt even bother letting him on the rollers.

·
Toyota Hybrid Tech
806 Posts
i was talking to my apperentice teacher, he knows one of the head guys for aircare. if your supra is moddified and its not your dd and you only take it out in the summer, you can apperantly get a conditional pass. its a discontinued car. they arnt there to take the street rods off the road. im gonna call and inquire about it in a week of so.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
did he have his cat removed??
yes... its a single turbo with all the fixins... 4" turbo back... from what he told me they took one of those mirrors on a stick and looked under the car and he automatically failed.

however, when i took my bpu+++ through last year they never checked under the car for a cat, (i had put my stock dp back on so not like it would have mattered, but figured they might have checked with the massive hks super dragger hanging off the back).

when it comes to a stock TT car, as long as you have your stock BOV or a recirculated BOV and stock downpipe installed, passing shouldnt be a problem, just take the car for a good hard drive to get the motor warm before you take the test.

as for a single turbo car, im guessing the best way to do it wold be with an after market ecu and get it custom tuned just for the aircare test.

another one of my friends with a mod'd camaro ss just has his registered to an address up north to avoid air care... in turn, he also gets a ridiculously cheap rate like $93.00/month.

i know this information is all over the map but its just my own experience and what someone with a highly modded single turbo mk4 has told me, so take from it what you can.

good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts