Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have an injector stuck open from what people have told me but I want to know how I know if an injector is stuck open?? Can you test them some how with taking the clips off while still in the car some how?

Thank, Brady

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
best way is to remove the injector and get them tested. you could remove the rail from the head. then w/ the injectors still in the rail and clips attached jumper Fp and B+. since the car isnt running you shouldnt have any fuel coming from any of the injectors. the problem w/ this is the fuel pressure will try to blow the injectors out of the rail since nothing is holding them in now. kinda tricky, but you might get that to work. best bet is have someone test them for you.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Top ten reasons you know there is an injector stuck open:

10. Your engine is hydrolocked on gasoline
9. There is fuel pouring out your tailpipe
8. Annoying catalytic converter fires
7. Crankcase overfilled and smells like gas
6. Dead misfire
5. One spark plug with liquid dripping off of it
4. You've spun another rod bearing
3. Poor fuel economy like 1 MPG
2. You went to the dyno and can't tune the A/Fs out of the 7:1 range

and the number 1 reason you know you have a stuck open injector is:
You just blew the headgasket and your coolant smells like gasoline!

Edit- Seroiusly, pull the plugs. If an injector is stuck, the corresponding plug will be wet with gasoline.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya im pretty sure I found the injector that is stuck open but can you tell by looking at the injector if anythings wrong with it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I doubt that visual inspection would reveal anything.

A Mechanics stethescope would give a good indication. Listen each of them as the car is idling. Each injector should make a nice on and off clicking sound as they cycle. If any sound radically different from the rest....

G

·
A Mechanics stethescope would give a good indication. Listen each of them as the car is idling. Each injector should make a nice on and off clicking sound as they cycle. If any sound radically different from the rest....
If you don't have a stethescope, you can use a long screw driver and hold the handle up to the tragus of your ear (the little nub that's right before your ear canal).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I found out which one

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
A 550 injector died on me.. stuck open.. omg.. im supprised it didn't hydro lock.. it wouldn't build fuel pressure (only like 2-3 psi).. haha.. pure gas shooting out the back..

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep thats what mine was doing also coming out by my exhaust manifold on the other side of all the fuel, at first I didnt want to believe it was an injector because of the fuel on the other side of the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts