Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Filmmaker
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, so I went na-tt not to long ago and now that I have it running right im at 14psi of boost. I ran at the track for the first time on friday and ran a 13.6 110 on bald tires open diff. Which is ok, I could easily be in the 12s with drag radials and a bcc. But im worried how long the tranny will hold. I have 115k miles on the tranny. Sometimes it makes funny noises but I dont know if its my tranny or my clutch which would go first? Im running a ACT 6 puck and pressure plate. So yea any clues or sounds I should be listening for?

Matt

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
yeah those 6 pucks are nosiey, they chatter, sounds like valves ticking on some, but it's not the valves, just the clutch

·
Filmmaker
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Quickness said:
You wont know if its going, it will just break. Believe me, I got three busted w58's under my belt :rolleyes:

sorry to hear that, so theres no signs? just happens?

Matt

·
Registered
60 Posts
How many miles were you guys at when your 5-speeds went??? Im running at like 130 something and im alittle worried because i can feel its harder to put my trans in gear between shifts.

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Stealthy Supra said:
How many miles were you guys at when your 5-speeds went??? Im running at like 130 something and im alittle worried because i can feel its harder to put my trans in gear between shifts.
Bleed your clutch line..you may have some air bubbles in there.. and by the way, Cryo treating the w58's internals will NOT increase it's strength or noticeably increase longevity. Read GrandLordKhorne's thread about his cryo treatment results. basically it will SLIGHTLY delay the breakdown of a metal's failure by heat, but because it's so slight, cryo treating the w58 = USELESS. R154 is the only plausible trans upgrade besides the getrag for manaul transmission cars like ours :(.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
mine just went too... no warning. except for maybe it was a little notchier to get into 1st gear a few months before it went. mine lasted me almost 30k miles of being TT and having about 400rwhp.

·
11,221 Posts
Mine broke on the 3rd day on the vpc/safc setup. I was trying to street tune it and I guess the constant pull on 3rd gear took its toll.

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
:x: I haven't wasted mine yet...but I figure it's only a matter of time. TT conversion was done about 7K miles ago.

·
Filmmaker
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and how do I know if my clutch is going? like mine feels like it engages alot harsher now, like its either engaged or not, not much slippage or leeway when i depress it.

Matt

·
Registered
227 Posts
if any of you guys are looing for a rps max clutch with horsepower freaks 6 puck bronze disc give me a pm. Mine only has less than 2000 miles on it. No launches ever on it. Hell i'll sell it with the flywheel if you want. My w58 hit the crapper so the clutch is useless now.

·
11,221 Posts
Stealthy Supra said:
And it sucks that Toyota doesnt sell full Transmissions anymore just only the parts. How many miles does the trannie last until???

Depends on how you baby it I guess. A new w58 is like $1600, who would pay that?

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Mk3 T.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why didnt Toyota make the mk4 transmission just as good as the mk3's. Its makes no sense ridiculoussince the mk4 was a more over developed and more expensive. That just seems so ridiculous that the older transmisson is better then the newer one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts