Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a real stupid question. I have a 97 TT Auto. I would like to know how should a correctly shift in Manual mode ?
This is what i did, I was driving and when i came to a stop I hit the manaul button and the shifted to 1st Gear. Then i stated to move, barely moving, i made it up to about 20MPH and then i had to slow down. When i did that the car started to slow down fast, like i was downshifting. Is this normal ? I was driving in stop and go traffic. I guess keeping in automatic would have been better.
But my question is, is this normal for the car to really slow down when i left off the gas at that speed ? Was i not in Manual mode because i didnt' start out that way ?

Thanks

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Just lleave it in D unless you "feel like racing." The reason the car slowed down so much when you had it in manu mode is because it held in 1st gear, when the tranny if left in drive would normally shift into 2nd.

The tranny will not upshift for you, but it will downshift so be careful. It will also try to put in any gear that you select. This means that if you get too excited and downshift into the wrong gear, it will try to put it there. So you could over-rev.

W

·
0 Posts
When racing from a stop, just leave it in drive and don't screw with the manu thing. Its pretty hard on your tranny and really isn't much faster. My freind with a BPU auto actually lost a few tenths while shifting. The car shifts faster without you doing anything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for the reply back. I will keep it in D all the time. I just thought it might be a little faster. You never know when you might need that extra power.

Thanks

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Drag racing vs. canyon driving

While drag racing, letting the auto tranny shift for you is probably the best bet.

However, as I found out on the LA Canyon run, shifting manually while entering turns and powering out of them makes you a lot faster. There's less reliance on the brakes as well. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts