Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How you guys protect your cars? Alarm and thats it? I was also thinking about the proximity sensor, but i really dont hear anything about those, good or bad...

park in lighted areas, garage when possible, pager alarms, lowjack, streering locks, etc ...

·
Registered
904 Posts
I keep my car under a car cover,locked inside of my garage. Car is lojack equipped and NEVER taken to malls,grocery stores,movie theatres,etc. or any place where I cannot directly view my car. If I were younger and still in school that would definitely be on the list too. Unfortunately this must be done to avoid the haters out there! :rolleyes:

·
doin alright, thanks ;-)
311 Posts
suprattnsa said:
I keep my car under a car cover,locked inside of my garage. Car is lojack equipped and NEVER taken to malls,grocery stores,movie theatres,etc. or any place where I cannot directly view my car. If I were younger and still in school that would definitely be on the list too. Unfortunately this must be done to avoid the haters out there! :rolleyes:
I know how you feel, but I would be miserable if I couldn't drive my Supra all of the time. Granted there are some places that I won't take it, but I just went ahead and got a stated amount insurance policy (to cover all of the mods) through Progressive, and I try not to worry about it...

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
I usually use Betsy.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I just avoid certain areas in downtown, especially clubs and other seedy places. That's what the Tacoma is for. :bigthumb: Plus, the Tacoma is a good stealth vehicle anyway. I don't sweat the grocery store or the mall, although I will say when I have the car all cleaned and waxed up I tend to not let it out of my sight. I did get keyed by some random idiot outside a downtown magazine stand one time, when the car was incredibly clean, so maybe just keeping the car dirty in areas like that would help avoid attention. :dunno: :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The proximity sensors are nice when you have an open-top car or if you often park the car with the targa off. Otherwise, they can get pretty annoying and often can go off from false triggers. I've owned two clifford alarms on two different cars installed with the proximity sensors. I am reluctant to have my next alarm equipped with the proximity sensor, because I got tired of the false readings. It can get very annoying.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
suprattnsa said:

I do the same.....also have my garage doors wired to the home alarm.

You can never be too careful. To many haters and too many people that just don't care about respecting other's possessions.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
I keep the Supra locked with 3 physical locks. There is a steering wheel lock, brake pedal lock, as well as a transmission lock that is bolted to the bottom of the car in thick steel and locks the transmission in Park unless it's unlocked. Alarms are cool but I wouldn't rely on them to prevent the car from getting stolen. If anything maybe a pager alarm would tell you if the door has been opened or something but if it's just going off, most people probably don't even look.

·
Bench Racer of the Year
692 Posts
Unfortunately, I feel the same way. I never leave my car where I cannot see it at all times.

Brian

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
alams are useless ,,how many times do you even really look when the alarm is going off in a parking lot somewhere...even if u do look and u do see a person u arent gonna run over there and start screaming get away from that person;s car..u usually just think thats the owner standing next to thje car...also i can get into alot of cars myself without even triggering the alarm..usually the alarm is disabled before it gets a chance to chirp...and no i am not a car theif i just used to be in the lo jack/ car alarm business....also lo jack doesnt work very well especially if you live in a highly populated area..if the theif steals the car and drives into the city or soemthing the signal gets crossed and it is extremely hard to follow...also all a thief has to do is locate the lo jack reciever and toss it...and alot of the lo jack installers put them in the same spots on the same model cars...
a close friend used to work for lo jack installing these systems..he gave me the low down...

as for what i do when protecting my supra...well just hope god is on your side when i catch you...also cameras around your house work wonders too...my car is always on camera..it would also help to be an extremely fast runner if u decide to come and mess with my car since u can be assured that i will let my best friend bugsy loose...he usually doesnt stop chasing untill he gets to lock his jaws around whatever body part he catches you by...

this is a long reply but kind of a funny story for me...
one day i was sitting in my house all by myself and i knew noone was gonna be home at all.. and i happened to catch something out of the corner of my eye by my car and my dog (bugsy) was going nuts...so i just decided to let him loose and after a few seconds i heard screaming...only to find that i had let my dog loose on my best friend who was trying to play a joke on me..my dog ended up putting his teeth completely through his right hand and snapping/crushing his 2nd through 5th metacarpals....if u dont know, the metacarpals are the bones in your hand that connect from your rist to your knuckles...damn i felt bad...

all in all..if a thief really wants your car or something in it..they are going to get it and probbaly be gone before u even realize what happend...

anthony

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Hey DannyT, I didn't know crime was a problem in Canada, ay?

I have the Clifford Avant guard IV. It's loaded with w/ all kinds of sensors, remote fuel cut (theives can't trace the wires!) and ignition kill, anti-carjacking, self-powered siren<--forget cutting the power!, etc, etc, etc. Even if someone steals my keys, they still have to enter a 3-digit combination code!

You can adjust the sensitivity of the sensors, and therefore I rarely get false alarms.

I don't leave anything in my car that is worth stealing, unless you really like the factory CD player in which case they can have it, since mine is starting to go bad!

Someone would have to tow my car anyway to steal it unless they are experts in alarm systems but even then it would take them a LONG time to track down and unhook the alarm from the fuel and ignition systems. The alarm took eight hours to install by professionals! Basically I live in a place with car theft is not a problem so I don't worry about it. Now as for the people on here that live in the car stealing capitals of the US, having to be paranoid about leaving your car anywhere where you can't see it, sucks to be you! :p

Well, I better go knock on wood now...

·
Registered
531 Posts
There are two large fuses you can remove that will disable any egnition, theives would have to tow it.

·
To the MSB BAtman!
1,690 Posts
yeah i pull my fuses when im leaving the car far...som of my friend pull their ecu's. it snot how well u can complicate you car with alarms and low jack..just think simple.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
^^^ Pull the ecu? holy crap! I guess that would do it...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts