Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Supra TT. No factory sub so there's just a plastic tray in the trunk..I guess for storage? Anyway, do you guys know how to remove it? I know there are 4 Bolts holding it down but there are 2 wires running through it on each side and there doesn't appear to be a way to disconnect them to get it out (see pics). Has anyone removed this before? How did you do it? Is there a connector behind one of the panels by the back seat I can get to? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
It's bolted down in several places. Pretty easy to remove, although it's not very heavy.

STeve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. The problem is the wires running though the plastic tray on each side. Not sure why Toyota decided to run the wires through the tray without a provision to remove it.

I feel like I'm missing something here, but I can't see how to disconnect the wires.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Those wires are for the ABS speed sensors on each hub assembly. I can't recall exactly where the connectors are, but there is a harness connection you need to unclip. I recommend against cutting the wires, as they are shielded, so not as straightforward as soldering/crimping them back together, and those sensors are discontinued and hard to come by. You might need to remove the back seats/side trim to find the connector.

On a side note, if you get the tray out, any chance you could look for a part # on it? I've never been able to track one down; only the part # for the foam panel or the sub assembly that came on some cars. Never seen the tray you have in pics/person and might be looking for one to replace my sub assembly with.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
The ABS wires have a connector under the side interior trim, just forward of the rear shock towers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'll have to try getting to the connectors some time this week. I'll also look for the part #.

·
From the land down under
4,256 Posts
The wires are easy to unplug so dont worry to much about them :)

Thats the same tray as my JDM 1996.8 came with. It is quite handy to have a spot to throw a few bits and pieces, like some rags, in case of any mechanical issues while on the road. (not that 1990's Toyota's break down) 🤣

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh man, I feel bad now for destructively removing mine last week. Should have looked harder for those connectors! I’m making a custom replacement for my JL 8” subwoofer, so didn’t mind breaking those ears off. I can’t imagine it has any resale value.

part no: 86150-14160
BB4361CC-06D8-49B9-84E2-78D56849A751.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: So I got it out. The connectors are right behind the bottom panel that stretches from the b pillar to the rear hatch. However, I didn't actually take off the panel. There is a small access panel that's connected to it that can be accessed from the trunk. It is an absolute PITA to get it out though. Toyota added keepers behind the access panel tabs so you can't just pull it off. I some how got my hand in between the panel and pulled the keepers off the plastic tabs. There not going back in once there out. I'll figure out another way to secure them. They do pop back in, just not very secure. Once it's off, you can see the connector and you're able to reach behind and disconnect it.

I looked all over the panel and there is no part number on it anywhere. I attached a couple pictures for reference though.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts