Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of 89+ taillights. One is in good condition, but the other one has leaves and dirt behind the lens. Is there anyway to separate it to clean inside?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Try running it through the dishwasher after you take the bulbs and wiring harness off. Set the dishwasher to air dry (power saver dry), cause the hot dry might mess things up if your dishwasher gets too hot.

This cleaned out the lights on my car pretty well.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
preheat oven at 350 deg

put tail light in for 7-8 min

use a butter knife to gently pry and seperate lens from housing. If it not seperating as easy, throw it back in the oven for another 4-5 min and try again.

I would NOT suggest you use 3m double sided tape as it will not seal it and keep water/mioster out. Clear silicone works best as it seals and is flexible to cover the curves of your tail lights.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
looks about 1/2" wide, unless you cut that down to 1/8' strips, its too much and would not allow the lens to seat properly plus would squish out , that stuff is harder to wiipe off clean than silicone. just my opinion though, ive split open and tinted my tails from the inside on my last 7 supras. Maybe ill give this 3m stuff a shot !

·
SUPRAFICIAL
1,518 Posts
I know a couple people posting in this have different methods....

I want a solid forsure method. Some people are saying put the oven preheating to 350 and put them in there? or some saying put the oven on the lowest setting and let them sit in there for a couple mins.

The reason im so hesitant on doing this is i really can see this potentially causing serious damage.. i need to get into mine to restore them but ive never used this method before and my heat gun couldnt get them even close to separating. I really dont feel its necessary to replace them when they work fine. So is there anyone that has done this atleast a couple times that can assure me that putting your lights in an oven and what temp to put them in to effectively and SAFELY do this ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a set of 89+ taillights. One is in good condition, but the other one has leaves and dirt behind the lens. Is there anyway to separate it to clean inside?
I just took apart the gen 1 tail lights to paint the trim silver. Baking times and temp are really important to separate these. i had to bake twice. Had to loosen the first round then pry open with tools on the round of baking.

I baked for 260 degrees for 12 minutes the first time then 260 for 8 minutes the second time. Really happy on how they turned out. I actually like the gen 1 tails because it has the depth but the gen 3 has the silver look that looks more modern. gen 1 with silver trim is best of both worlds!

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
bake in oven and pry it apart. seal it back up with butyl tape. its similar to the windhshield sealant posted above. ive dont this to many lights. i wouldnt use silicone, thats pretty ghetto. butyl tape is the proper stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts