Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my rebuild, car wont fuckin start. It cranks over, cranks over, and cranks over, then BAM, backfire through the intake. I checked the timing and it is DEAD ON. So what the hell is going on? I think it may be the CPS. How do you set it? I didnt mark it when I removed it from the engine, so can anyone tell me how I can fix this, I'm frustrated.

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
yeah, just put it in like the tsrm says, it'll end up being just clockwise of the contact (1/2" or less, 1 o'clock or so). When I did mine I made the contact line up (one tooth counter-clockwise of where tsrm said cause I thought it looked better there) and it didn't start so I moved it back that one tooth and it fired right up.

·
Registered
451 Posts
ok start here
http://cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/ig/IG_21.html
then go thru it step by step

Make sure to set engine to TDC.

It wounds like you might be off by 180 degrees, if your timing checks perfect, remember that TDC happens twice on a 4 stroke engine, but only once with the compression cycle. That is why you need to look at the valves then rotate the crankshaft.

its all in the directions
good luck

Steve

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I find it easiest to remove the 3 small bolts and pull off the CPS cover. Then stab the CPS unitl you get the spinning contact, slightly to the left of the other contact. You're timing shoudl be 10° BTDC. If TDC is where the cams and crank are at, you want the spinning contact on the cps a tad bit before the static contact.

Works every time.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if its backfiring through the intake thats usually a sign of the timing being 180 off...hence spark and exhaust stroke while intake valve is open.

Reset the timing belt and the cps when you are positive the car is at top dead center (#1 piston at beginning of its stroke, NOT at the top of its compression stroke)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you say when its TDC when its at the start of its stroke?? I thought it was at the top of the compression stroke?? I'm confused.

BTW, what color is your car, it looks bad ass.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Step 1. rotate the engine AT LEAST 120degrees backards (counterclockwise), and stop after the notch on the crank pulley has passed the 20degree timing mark.

Step 2. Rotate the engine clockwise until the crank pulley lines up with the zero timing mark.

Step 3 Open the oil filler cap and verify that you can see the camshaft lobe. If you can, proceed to step 4. If you cant see it, youre on TDC exhaust (off by 360 degrees crankshaft). Rotate the engine 380degrees COUNTERclockwise, then clockwise ~20degrees until the crankshaft mark is on zero. Verify the camshaft lobe is visible through the oil fill hole.

Step 4. Remove the power steering bracket (no need to pull the fluid lines). Remove the airfilter assembly and piping to turbo. Remove the IC hose from the fender to the 3000pipe. Remove the coolant hose from the top of the turbo to the thermostat housing. Pull out the CPS...

Step 5. Make sure the engine is still at the zero mark. Align the drilled hole on the CPS shaft with the notch on the stationary tooth.

Step 6. Hold the CPS so that the center of the adjustment groove is lined up with the bolt hole on the head. Carefully slide the CPS back into place. Lightly tighten the CPS bolt.

Step 7. Reconnect everything removed in step 4 (and the oil filler cap if you havent already done so).

Step 8. Check the timing, and tighten the CPS bolt.

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
If the CPS is off 180 degrees, the car will still run. Remember, the DIS coils fire off both matching cylinders at the same time (wasted spark system). I've had my car running with CPS 180 off. Only problem is you cant index it to spec. its either too advanced or too retarded, depending which tooth youre on.

Christian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts